Ussc 6041

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

jcwilliams

Aug 20, 2016
ohio
I noticed last year the output didn't seem to be very good.
I fired it up today and same thing. Output don't seem to be very good like it once was. No codes. Don't shut down. Almost like its not feeding enough pellets yet it does feed enough pellets to keep it going. Bump it to a 2 or a 3 and seem to be no change.
Any advice?
Thanks

To many possibilities, to start: Clean clean clean, do the deepest clean you can, to include space behind the facial board I use a dryer brush

100_1167.JPG.

Tap left and right sides of firebox with wooden mallet.

Clean fins on exhaust blower, clean fins in squirrel cage room blower.

283920-f3183206c8fcae06abbce278a3edf31f.jpg

Empty hopper, vacuum any fines in the bottom

https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/ussc-6039-6041-internal-cleaning.152067/

Have you changed pellets?
Have you cleaned venting?
Have you installed FAC/OAK?
Have you installed electric box plugs behind facial board?

HolePlug.gif
Are you running factory default settings?

Attachments

• usstove tech manual 6041 American Harvest Multi Fuel 4 Digit Board.pdf
    696.5 KB · Views: 117
Last edited:
Reactions: Washed-Up
Error 2

The low-limit temperature sensor has tripped. Hopper Empty. Auger output failure or jam. Poor flame or fuel quality caused the fire to burn too slowly or go out. Electrical Open in low-temperature switch or wiring. The fire was not well established before the PCB’s programmed time limit expired

Reactions: ARC
It ran all night last night on setting one. Which is like a low flame to just just a glow. As soon as I open the hopper to refill the error 2 tripped beacuase the flame was so low. It feeds pellets and auger works. New vac switch. New high and low limit switches. New door gasket.

I'm at a loss

Thanks for the reply

I just got a error 2 today. Which happens a lot. I can't seem to pin point the issue
Some more questions and things to try.

Run the board test and let us know what each test does 1-7. Note cooled off stove!!!
6041 test.jpg

Check your feed rates open the Constant mode and note what C-2 and C-3 says for feed rate:

1666095010252.png

Check the high temp silicone hose from the vacuum switch to the stove, pay attention to were it connects to the metal nipple on the stove sometimes the hose cracks and cause the E-2.

Do you have a external thermostat attached to the control board?

When you increase the heat range on the stove IE from 1 to 2 does the dash between the Hr-2 stop blinking? Should blink for around 10 minutes while stove ramps up then go solid red.

If no external thermostat check that the thermostat jumper is still in place, if you do have external thermostat you might want to unhook it and replace the jumper to see if external thermostat is working right. If attached to a non working thermostat or the jumper is missing stove will run on idle no mater what heat setting you are asking/set for.
5nlzj4.jpgthermo jumper.jpg

Have you installed FAC/OAK?
Fresh Air Kit or Outside Air Kit, How air tight is your house. Some are so insulated and sealed that the stove can not draw enough air to burn correctly. A indicator of this is if you have your stove set on Hr2 or Hr3 does the pot build up with unburnt pellets. If this is the case try opening a outside door or window in the same room as the stove.

If this is the case try opening a outside door or window in the same room as the stove.
Just don’t use a window so close to the stove that you pull smoke back into the house.

Does it run fine on heat setting 2?

You said setting 1 is a very small flame or a glow. Have you looked at your feed rates?

I am wondering if your setting 1 feed rate is so low that it doesn’t keep the flame going enough to register. Especially since when you raise the lid to fill pellets the auger will stop feeding.

I have had an Er2 on my USSC 6500 due to a feed rate being too low. I have mine hooked up to a thermostat, so I wanted setting 1 to be as low as possible and then ramp up to level 2 or 3 when the thermostat calls for heat. I had reduced mine so much that I would get an Er2 a bit. I bumped the feed rate up just a little and now all is good.

For reference my low heat feed rate setting is 1.6 and my high heat feed rate setting is 5.

It works well for my stove, but it can vary stove to stove some

For reference my low heat feed rate setting is 1.6 and my high heat feed rate setting is 5.
OP did state hr2 and hr3 little change in burn. 1.6 is a low feed rate I could never get my 6039 to run well on anything below 2.00 below that it would run but like you said I was always looking to see if it went out. That is why I suggested he check his C mode. C2 and C3.

Reactions: Jeremy6500
OP did state hr2 and hr3 little change in burn. 1.6 is a low feed rate I could never get my 6039 to run well on anything below 2.00 below that it would run but like you said I was always looking to see if it went out. That is why I suggested he check his C mode. C2 and C3.

I am with you on checking his C2 and C3.

1.6 was the lowest I could go and not have to worry about E2 codes. Since I am on a thermostat I was trying to make my PR1 setting like a pilot light. I read where one USSC 8500 user was able to run his Pr1 setting on .75, but mine wouldn't run anywhere close to that.

The factory settings for mine are all jacked up. If I reset the board it goes back to 5 for my Pr1 setting and 14 for my Pr3 setting.

I'm at a loss

How long are your pellets, if a majority of them are 1 1/2 to 2 inches long it can slow down your feed rate.

Check the hair pin on your auger motor they can break and still hold enough to partially turn auger. Also check your auger drive motor bracket , bottom plate retainer and both upper and lower auger bushings. The bracket and plate could be loose and the extra movement can reduce the "push" of the auger, The upper and lower auger bushings could be binding and not letting the auger turn freely. The lower bushing sometimes gets fines (pellet dust) packed around it lightly binds the auger.

1666182006332.png

OP did state hr2 and hr3 little change in burn.

I saw that. I wonder if checking the timing between the auger rotations for each heat setting and then checking the time between the pellets dropping into the burn pot at each setting would be helpful.

My thought is then the OP would have some concrete evidence on changing the heat settings make a difference or not. That way it wouldn't be subjective.

For me, first steps would be to clean the crap out of it and then check the feed rate settings. If they appear fine, then check auger pellet drop timings and go down the road you suggested regarding possible mechanical auger issues.

Either way I am kinda interested to see what the OP finds.