Utilizing Draft in Summer?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr A

Minister of Fire
Nov 18, 2011
N. California
I wonder if the draft of the stove pipe can be used to cool the house? Still in the 90's during the day, but it cools to high 50's to mid 60's overnight. House is high 70's until the sun goes down, then I open the windows rather than turn on the AC. I am going to open up the stove doors and see if the draft will help take out some warm air when it cools down at night. Has anyone done this? Does it work?

Depends on the location of your stove. My stove is below grade, so in most weather above 30 degrees, my stove is trying to downdraft. That said, the house would stink of creosote if I tried opening the door in these temps.

However, if the stove is drafting properly in this weather anyway, you could try it..... or even light 1/4 of a super cedar in the unit to try and increase the draft w/out adding heat to the room.

pen

72 inside this morning from 78 last night. no noticeable difference. If it sucked any air out it is miniscule. 59 overnight outside

Yea, that only a 15 degree or so temp difference. Not enough to generate measurable draft.

I always just put a black trash bag over my chimney cap in the summer.

Short answer - No, see below for long answer.

Within your house, at any time of year, warm air rising and cool air falling cause the upper part of the house to be at a very slight positive pressure relative to the outside air, while the lower part of the house will be at a very slight vacuum. This is called the stack effect. This is why warm air exits through cracks upstairs, and cold air enters through cracks downstairs. If there is no fire, the slight vacuum draws air down the chimney, this is one reason why people sometimes get smoke into the room when lighting a fire, this negative pressure is stronger than the heat convection when the fire is small.

In the desert, some green buildings have a structure like a big old-fashioned stone chimney, with humidifiers inside. As the stack effect draws air down the "chimney", the air cools and the combined effect draws an impressive volume of cool air through the building. A south facing glass tower at the opposite end of the building will drive even more air movement by heating air and venting it to the top.

You can do the same, open a window upstairs in the warmest room, and open a window downstairs or basement.

TE

Status
Not open for further replies.