Vacuum in firepot for castille

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Iks

Oct 31, 2018
Massachusetts
My 2006 Quadrafire Castille pellet stove was cleaned last summer and ran fine until we stopped using it this past Spring. Now starting it up for the Fall, it wont feed pellets.

The control box blue light blinks four times, for the first minute or so.
The call light comes on and stays on
The flue should be clean
The front glass door passes the dollar bill test on all four sides (so its tight)
T
he convection blower starts right away.
The hopper lid has no switch that I can see.
I jumped the vacuum switch which then started the auger. I replaced the vacuum switch and hoses but it still wont feed.

Question 1: should I be able to blow through the vacuum hose into the firepot from the vacuum switch end? If I stick a wire into the vacuum nipple on the firepot should it meet resistance? If so then it may be the culprit.

Question 2: does the vacuum switch shut the auger off when it detects a partial vacuum or when it detects no vacuum differential.

Thanks for your help

Are there pellets in the hopper? My heatilator auger won't turn until I place pellets in bottom of hopper, assume due to lack of vacuum with auger tube wide open to atmosphere.

Reactions: kappel15
If you can’t blow thru that port then it’s likely clogged. Use a paper clip to clear it. There should be no resistance there

Reactions: kappel15
If there is no vacuum in the firebox, the vac switch can't send power to the auger. If the nipple on the drop chute is plugged, your old vac switch may still be good. kap

Combustion blower chamber clean? no obstruction in the vent pipe? Birds, bees sure like stove pipes

There are enough pellets in the hopper. I will clean the fire pot port first, then the stove pipe. I will report back here after each action

Using a paperclip it seemed that the port was free and I confirmed by removing the vacuum switch end of the rubber tube and was able to blow into the firepot.

I then removed the stove pipe outside the building and cleaned it out, including the cleanout pan at the T-junction and into the back of the stove as far as my stove brush could reach. It was dirty but not blocked. I did not remove the pipe from the back of the stove because I wasn't sure of being able to make a good seal when I put it back on.

But I did remove the inside back baffle to see if it and the fan were clogged. They weren't but I vacuumed everything anyway with an ash vacuum.

Might go ahead with pulling the stove away from the wall and stove pipe. Any warnings? There doesn't appear to be any screws so I think its just pressure fit. Advice?

There is no need for that. DId you have the exhaust running when you brushed the pipes?

It just helps blow out the ash you are brushing off the pipe walls. kap

My 2006 Quadrafire Castille pellet stove was cleaned last summer and ran fine until we stopped using it this past Spring. Now starting it up for the Fall, it wont feed pellets.

The control box blue light blinks four times, for the first minute or so.
The call light comes on and stays on
The flue should be clean
The front glass door passes the dollar bill test on all four sides (so its tight)
T
he convection blower starts right away.
The hopper lid has no switch that I can see.
I jumped the vacuum switch which then started the auger. I replaced the vacuum switch and hoses but it still wont feed.

Question 1: should I be able to blow through the vacuum hose into the firepot from the vacuum switch end? If I stick a wire into the vacuum nipple on the firepot should it meet resistance? If so then it may be the culprit.

Question 2: does the vacuum switch shut the auger off when it detects a partial vacuum or when it detects no vacuum differential.

Thanks for your help
Jump the vacuum switch and leave it jumped and see if it runs normally.