VC 2n1 in non-cat mode

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bobabuoy

Jan 26, 2011
IL
I have a VC Encore 2n1 that I have had for a couple of years now. I have run it with the catalyst in place until recently, when I decided to try the non-cat mode. My question is why do I see more smoke coming out of the chimney when the bypass damper is closed than when the damper is open without the catalyst in place? What is the point of using the system in non cat mode with the damper closed if I get cleaner burning when the damper is opened?

Indeed, what is the point of having a catalytic stove without a catalyst? Why not simply run an old Vigilant or something?

I know how that may sound, but I am really not that snarky, I just have never fully understood the reasoning behind the 2 in 1. Have you had good results with yours? What do you like/dislike about it?

The only thing I can say I really like about the 2n1 aka "flexburn" is the look of the stove and the ashpan access area. I upgraded to the newer 2n1 a few years ago from a very old Vigilant, and have had draft issues and backpuffing ever since. My wife doesn't even feel comfortable using the stove when I am not present because it is so finicky.

I have learned after a few years now of the tricks to working this stove, but it has always been used in catalytic mode. The recent switch to the non-cat is mainly because the catalyst is degrading, and I thought I'd give it a try in non-cat rather than spend the money to replace the cat.

If I had to do it over again I would have purchased something else. The attention to detail on this expensive stove was not as good as it should have been.The gaskets on the glass windows were lose even when new, and the gasket to the damper and flue connector were out of place when new. The catalyst has not really been that rugged either - it lost shape early on and has now cracked in a few spots.

I'm still using my old Defiant because I can't afford a new one anyway, but the more I hear about the newer ones, the more I think poverty is a perverse blessing of sorts.

Status
Not open for further replies.