VC Defiant Encore model 2190 Long thread! Pics Dutchwest re-install!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
BrowningBAR said:
VCBurner said:
Also talked to the seller today and said I would come down to hopefully take it home at some point in late February. He said he was not in a hurry and would hold it for me. I owe him a call to finalize a pick up day in a couple of weeks.

If you are interested in the stove and want it, put the money down now and pick it up as soon as possible. It is well documented that I had a tough time purchasing the third stove. I had two Fireviews and a Mansfield fall through on me. One was sold out from under me and the other two "changed their mind". I had a pick up and payment agreement with all three.

Bottom line; you want the stove? Pick it up ASAP.

Thanks for the heads up Browning, I remember the issues you had. I asked him if he wanted a deposit, but he said no. He is a southern gentleman who lives in NH. Though, I hear what you're saying, if someone shows up with the cash he'll take it. I'm sure. Maybe I'll see if we can go up and give him a deposit. It's beautiful in New Hampshire this time of the year. I was just trying to avoid the long journey twice. I won't have the dough till mid February.

How long between reloads? It says 10 hours on the specs do you agree?

Right now with it about 3F outside and not using the oil heat, we reload about 4-5 hours and have the stove running at about 600F (on the stove top). This is close to max output of heat - although we are not burning the best wood - some junk pieces and lower quality stuff. Luck of the draw for getting stuff off the wood pile. I do have some dry red oak for tonight, should be able to get about 7 hours and still have the top over 400F.

For lower heat output, I can get about 14 hours of burn time and have just enough coals to not need a match. Before the rebuild only about 10 hours.

Good luck to you VCB and not to sound snarky at all' may I offer that I too am in New Hampshire and if the deal falls throoo, P.M.me. I've got reconditioned V.C. stoves. Happy Heating.

defiant3 said:
Good luck to you VCB and not to sound snarky at all' may I offer that I too am in New Hampshire and if the deal falls throoo, P.M.me. I've got reconditioned V.C. stoves. Happy Heating.

Thank you very much for the offer Defiant3, I have looked for stoves for three Winters in a row now. It's always good to know people who are in that busyness. Where abouts is your shop, send me a PM. Maybe I'll come up when I make the journey! I hope to get a decent stove that can be run for a couple of years before I can rebuild the thing from scratch. I'm looking for a good source for those lift handtrucks, do you know where I can get a good deal on one?

Thanks,

Chris

Here's a bad picture of the stove I'll be picking up in a couple of weeks. It was taken with a cell phone so please don't mind it. Just sort of a representation of what it really looks like!

Attachments

• Blue Defiant Encore.jpg
    Blue Defiant Encore.jpg
    9.1 KB · Views: 469
Wow! I just got done reading the entire thread again! It always amazes me how m,uch good information can be obtained from this site. Thank you all who have posted with information on this stove. I really have come to realize that like most stoves these are not fond of being pushed constantly. I will only be heating at most 1750 sq ft with this stove. It will also have the help of my Dutchwest Large Cat. Together they will completely blow us out of this house, even if I heat the entire 2000 sq ft that will be finished before the baby comes in May! Right now the DW heats 1000 even during the coldest below zero temps that Central Mass have to offer occasionally. Once the Encore is here (provided it passes inspection,) the two should work in uni sen just fine. I have not decided which one is going in the living room or basement yet. I may end up with the DW back in the finished basement. I know how to operate it comfortably enough to leave it down there without constant babysitting. The fear is that the Encore will blow us out of the living room. The radiant heat may prove to be too much in there, as it is not part of an open floor lay out. The only opening is a cased opening the size of a doorway, which leads to the main hallway in the middle of the house. Moving the air is a constant battle. I may add some duct work in the attic leading to the three bedrooms as well as an in-line wall fan to get warm air to the kitchen. Both these set ups would be connected to a thermostat in the living room/ stove room. In this case the DW is only going to heat 750 sq ft of the basement. However it will do the job of heating the entire house during the shoulder season. I still have a lot to think about before I make a decision, either way this won't be until the next heating season.

The Encore was supposed to get picked up last Saturday, but I had to delay the pick up by another week. It will be picked up this Friday or Saturday. In the meantime, I found some warming shelves on Ebay which arrived today. They suffered some damage to the enamel during shipping, as was apparent from the pieces of enamel in the bottom of the box. This could have been avoided by wrapping each piece with cardboard before putting them in the box. Now I have to resort to touch up paint, but they should look Ok with a bit of cover up. Again, thanks for all the input, I will post some pics as soon as the stove is here. This is an Ebay pic of the shelves, they are actually darker (midnight blue,) the flash makes them appear light blue.

Attachments

• Blue Warming Shelves.jpg
    Blue Warming Shelves.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 362
VCBurner said:
Here's a bad picture of the stove I'll be picking up in a couple of weeks. It was taken with a cell phone so please don't mind it. Just sort of a representation of what it really looks like!
Wow tha tlooks just exactly like mine except in good shape,..same color & everything.

VCBurner said:
Wow! I just got done reading the entire thread again! It always amazes me how m,uch good information can be obtained from this site. Thank you all who have posted with information on this stove. I really have come to realize that like most stoves these are not fond of being pushed constantly. I will only be heating at most 1750 sq ft with this stove. It will also have the help of my Dutchwest Large Cat. Together they will completely blow us out of this house, even if I heat the entire 2000 sq ft that will be finished before the baby comes in May! Right now the DW heats 1000 even during the coldest below zero temps that Central Mass have to offer occasionally. Once the Encore is here (provided it passes inspection,) the two should work in uni sen just fine. I have not decided which one is going in the living room or basement yet. I may end up with the DW back in the finished basement. I know how to operate it comfortably enough to leave it down there without constant babysitting. The fear is that the Encore will blow us out of the living room. The radiant heat may prove to be too much in there, as it is not part of an open floor lay out. The only opening is a cased opening the size of a doorway, which leads to the main hallway in the middle of the house. Moving the air is a constant battle. I may add some duct work in the attic leading to the three bedrooms as well as an in-line wall fan to get warm air to the kitchen. Both these set ups would be connected to a thermostat in the living room/ stove room. In this case the DW is only going to heat 750 sq ft of the basement. However it will do the job of heating the entire house during the shoulder season. I still have a lot to think about before I make a decision, either way this won't be until the next heating season.

The Encore was supposed to get picked up last Saturday, but I had to delay the pick up by another week. It will be picked up this Friday or Saturday. In the meantime, I found some warming shelves on Ebay which arrived today. They suffered some damage to the enamel during shipping, as was apparent from the pieces of enamel in the bottom of the box. This could have been avoided by wrapping each piece with cardboard before putting them in the box. Now I have to resort to touch up paint, but they should look Ok with a bit of cover up. Again, thanks for all the input, I will post some pics as soon as the stove is here. This is an Ebay pic of the shelves, they are actually darker (midnight blue,) the flash makes them appear light blue.

Nice score dood!

Wyld Bill said:
VCBurner said:
Wow that looks just exactly like mine except in good shape,..same color & everything. Nice score dood!

Thanks W. Bill,

I thought yours looked very similar. I was supposed to pick it up tonight, but with all the rain/sleet and mess on the roads, I thought the 2 hour trip would not be too good. I'll be going tomorrow morning instead. Ugg, I've cancelled the pick up three times now! No more delays, please! I really want to see it, the shelves are waiting for a home in the living room. Bedford, New Hampshire here I come.

Just make sure the first thing you do before you move it is TAKE OFF THE LEGS!!!!! They are expensive & break VERY easy!

Wyld Bill said:
Just make sure the first thing you do before you move it is TAKE OFF THE LEGS!!!!! They are expensive & break VERY easy!

Great, thanks Bill, I was wondering if anyone had some moving tips? I was planning on removing the legs. I'm bringing a hand truck, furniture dolly and some planks to get it into the van. Do I have to remove anything else from the bottom? Ash pan? How do you usually move them?

VCBurner said:
Wyld Bill said:

Great, thanks Bill, I was wondering if anyone had some moving tips? I was planning on removing the legs. I'm bringing a hand truck, furniture dolly and some planks to get it into the van. Do I have to remove anything else from the bottom? Ash pan? How do you usually move them?

I'd remove everything you can. Legs, doors, top griddle, ash pan. It will make it easier to move.

Last year I got good tips from here about moving an encore. Since then I have moved three of them with a tiny bit of help from the sellers. Two 2x6s & a dolly ($45.00 at h.d.). Unless, you are moving it from a second floor.
Make sure you tie it to the dolly!!!!

Diabel said:
Last year I got good tips from here about moving an encore. Since then I have moved three of them with a tiny bit of help from the sellers. Two 2x6s & a dolly ($45.00 at h.d.). Unless, you are moving it from a second floor.

As I mentioned, I do have a furniture dolly (on casters) and a hand truck with pneumatic tires. I have moved my DW from the downstairs to the upstairs before with the handtruck. It weighs 436 pounds, so I have some experience. But the Encore seems a bit harder to move due to the rear controls and the swing out ash pan. How did you move yours, what did you take off them? Can you put it on the handtruck on its bottom, do you have to take off the ash pan?

BrowningBAR said:
VCBurner said:
Wyld Bill said:

I'd remove everything you can. Legs, doors, top griddle, ash pan. It will make it easier to move.

Sounds like good advice, Browning. I will remove as much as pissible.

VCBurner said:
Diabel said:

As I mentioned, I do have a furniture dolly (on casters) and a hand truck with pneumatic tires. I have moved my DW from the downstairs to the upstairs before with the handtruck. It weighs 436 pounds, so I have some experience. But the Encore seems a bit harder to move due to the rear controls and the swing out ash pan. How did you move yours, what did you take off them? Can you put it on the handtruck on its bottom, do you have to take off the ash pan?

I am assuming a handtruck is like a standard utility dolly. You set it up from the back of the encore, tip it, once the stove is resting on the dolly horizontally ...face/front facing up, you tie it up to the dolly (tight). Rest your planks (2x6s) on the ramp of your van, you pull the dolly into the van with you coming in first...your seller surly will help you push from the other side (he wants that junk out). You rest the dolly horizontal in the van for traveling, make sure you tie the dolly inside the van (to the van body), so it dost not more around on you. At home you can easily slide it out by yourself.

Diabel said:
VCBurner said:
Diabel said:

I am assuming a handtruck is like a standard utility dolly. You set it up from the back of the encore, tip it, once the stove is resting on the dolly horizontally ...face/front facing up, you tie it up to the dolly (tight). Rest your planks (2x6s) on the ramp of your van, you pull the dolly into the van with you coming in first...your seller surly will help you push from the other side (he wants that junk out). You rest the dolly horizontal in the van for traveling, make sure you tie the dolly inside the van (to the van body), so it dost not more around on you. At home you can easily slide it out by yourself.

Right on Diabel! Thanks for the tip. I thought, I had it under control, but the more I thought about it, the more I doubted myself. Wow, I just said I four times in one sentence. :wow: I better go to bed soon, my son has a 7am indoor soccer game tomorrow, I better get some rest. It'll be a long day. Sunday is my yongest son's 5th bday party, so we still have lots to do before then.

Thanks again,

Chris

VCBurner said:
Diabel said:
VCBurner said:
Diabel said:

Right on Diabel! Thanks for the tip. I thought, I had it under control, but the more I thought about it, the more I doubted myself. Wow, I just said I four times in one sentence. :wow: I better go to bed soon, my son has a 7am indoor soccer game tomorrow, I better get some rest. It'll be a long day. Sunday is my yongest son's 5th bday party, so we still have lots to do before then.

Thanks again,

Chris

Have fun tomorrow & take your time!

Remove the doors, ash grate, ash pan, griddle top, and the flue collar. That should lighten it up a bit. You can also remove the back.. its held on by 6 bolts. Although it may make a small mess as fly ash spills out of it onto the guy's floor. If you remove the back, remove the metal cat cover, access panel, and cat first. Take care not to bang anything into the refractory package when removing and storing the back.

Pick up a furniture dolly at Home Cheapo and two people should be able to easily lift it square onto the dolly. You can remove the legs, but if you're careful and strap it down well you might not need too. Don't forget any odds and ends that might come with it, like the handle thingy (technical term) for opening the doors and the damper plate.

homebrewz said:
Remove the doors, ash grate, ash pan, griddle top, and the flue collar. That should lighten it up a bit. You can also remove the back.. its held on by 6 bolts. Although it may make a small mess as fly ash spills out of it onto the guy's floor. If you remove the back, remove the metal cat cover, access panel, and cat first. Take care not to bang anything into the refractory package when removing and storing the back.

Pick up a furniture dolly at Home Cheapo and two people should be able to easily lift it square onto the dolly. You can remove the legs, but if you're careful and strap it down well you might not need too. Don't forget any odds and ends that might come with it, like the handle thingy (technical term) for opening the doors and the damper plate.

Got it! Furniture dolly and utility dolly already in the van! Thanks again for the helpful tips. I'm off to NH!

I hope it all works out. Post an update later and let us know how it turned out.

Last bit of advice. Don't forget to visit your local, friendly package store for some tax free hooch before you head back home.

Thank you all for the moving tips as well as advice on this stove. The trip was pretty long, but it was a nice clear day. It was only 55 miles, but it felt like 150. The stove was in pristine condition, with the exception of a couple of small chips on the enamel. I'll be picking up some touch up paint to fix those. He really only used it to supplement heat, as he eventually went geothermal back in Ohio. I started by taking off the fash pan and grate, followed by the fireback, top griddle and all the handles. There was no need to take the legs off, the dolly lifted them right off the ground. The flue collar also came off. It was extremely easy to put the utility dolly into the back of the stove, then strap it and tilt it up. Rolling it up the planks into my minivan was a breeze. I tied it down to the seat hooks on the floor of the van. The seats had been removed so there was plenty of space. The stove stayed on the dolly on the ride, being completely tied to it in both directions. The hearth pad, which came with the stove originally was extremely heavy and took up lots of room in the van.

The stove came with all the original paperwork. Including, the manual, brochures, EPA paper tag, Set up instruction pamphlet, Accents for the Hearth brochure, as well as the original purchase receipt! It was purchased from:

Bauer Stoves & Fireplaces
3548 SR 54
Urbana, Ohio 43078
513-484-3456
1-800-762-9802

The date of purchase was made on SEp 30, 1994 in the total of $2165.84.
It included the stove, a 6" flue collar, thermometer and hearth board.

I'm very happy with the purchase. Can't wait to put it in my livingroom and add the shelves to it. Again, thank you all for the moving tips and experience testimony. The moving tips were very helpful today!! I'll be sure to take and post pics as soon as I can. For tonight, it will sit in the garage until tomorrow afternoon, after my sons birthday party! I'll install it then.

homebrewz said:
I hope it all works out. Post an update later and let us know how it turned out.

Last bit of advice. Don't forget to visit your local, friendly package store for some tax free hooch before you head back home.

It went really well. Not a thing went wrong, I over planned for it, but it all came in handy. I wish I caught your last bit of advice earlier. A corona would really do the trick while I watch the UFC fights right now!

Thanks for the tips!

Chris

Diabel said:
Have fun tomorrow & take your time!

Thank you so much for the solid moving advice. The dolly worked better than I thought. It lifts the thing right up, elevating the stove without putting pressure on the back legs! I left it on the dolly, just like you said. But it was placed with the handle in between the two front seats. So it could not go forward, I just needed to keep it from sliding back with a strap tied to the seat hooks. I also stapped the stove to the dolly with two straps going across each other. Then the whole stove was strapped to the floor with two other straps. I could have rolled the van over and it prolly would have stayed! I was able to unload the thing by myself from the van into the garage.

Here are some observations for this Encore thread:

The Encore is much lighter than my Dutchwest. Encore specs put it at 350 pounds the DW is 438 pounds. Interesting, that the Encore is said to heat 1900 sq ft and the DW up to 1600. Heat output max for the Encore is 47,000 BTU and the DW 40,000 BTU. I've yet to measure the Encore firebox, but I know it is not as wide 20" as opposed to 22" logs. It may also be much taller inside even though the stove itself is 3/8" shorter than the DW with the short legs. The cat, secondary burn chamber and convection chamber on the top of the firebox take up a lot of space on the DW. I'll be curious to see the difference in radiant vs. convection heat. I bet the blower on the DW will be missed. However, the Encore should be more than able to meet my heating needs. I suspect it will exceed my expectations just as the DW did! I know I will love the top loading door. It should be much easier to keep the surrounding area clean. I won't miss having to get on my knees to load the side door. The DW will go to the basement, heating 750 sq ft of wide open space, that will be made into a bedroom/playroom. Pictures will be sent!! Don't worry. Good night to all!

Chris

I am glad everything worked out. Now give it a good inspection, cleaning & get get fired up. In terms of weight, yes it weighs about 350lbs. I am surprised that DW is that much heavier! I am also surprised that the new 2 in 1 encore weight 475lbs!!!! That is 125lbs more unless it is the large defiant that is 475lbs.

Status
Not open for further replies.