VC Encore 2040 2n1 smoke issues

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bobabuoy

Jan 26, 2011
IL
Hi everyone - I'm new to this forum, but so far have enjoyed all the information available.

I have a new VC Encore 2 in 1 stove that I had installed to replace my VC Vigilant that I inherited from the previous owner of the house. I have been having problems with smoke coming out of the unit when I go to refill it (I have the damper open). It is very obvious when I load through the top because I will sometimes see a puff of smoke when I open the door. When loading from the front, I have noticed it more by smell when standing up than actual smoke. I usually try to have a good fire going before doing this, and have started to open a window nearby to make sure I don't have depressurization going on.

The unit was installed with the 6" flue sizing, and the total height of the chimney is 14' from where it starts at the top rear of the stove.

Anyone have any ideas of what might be going on?

Altitude affects chimney performance. When using a 6†flue collar on the Encore, refer to Figure 2 for suggested chimney heights at various altitudes. Chim- ney height should be measured from the flue collar to the top of the chimney. The recommended minimum chimney height is 16’ (4.9 m).

Could be chimney height.

14ft is a bit short for this stove, especially if there are any elbows involved. Is the 6" connector transitioned to the 8" class A that was set up for the Vigilant or is it 6" all the way to the flue cap?

this is 6" all the way from the stove up to the top. I had them replace everything when putting in the new stove

If there are no elbows involved you might try adding a few feet of pipe on top. That may make a very nice difference.

I would try to raise the chimney up if you can. Also, before you load it open the damper, turn the air all the way up, and give it a second. Then open and load and see if that helps.

Usually we have to crack open the griddle or front doors (open about 3-4 inches) for 30 seconds or more before slowly opening them fully to prevent the smoke/smell from coming out the firebox. This gives the smoke column in the flue time to accelerate out of the chimney. I blame it on the 6" liner. Any exhaust fans running in your house? Clothes dryer?

I have started to open the top load slowly and listen for a vacuum/whistle sounds before opening fully. I don't have any other exhaust going in the house except the dryer and water heater. I've started to crack the window by the stove when loading, but noticed it didn't help last night.

Status
Not open for further replies.