1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

VC Encore, Doors open?

Post in 'The Hearth Room - Wood Stoves and Fireplaces' started by G-rott, Apr 3, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. G-rott

G-rott Member

Loc:
    Petoskey Michigan
    Hi all,

Just got 3 fresh inches of snow and decided a fire was a good idea. We are visiting my in-laws and there VC Encore is set up with the screen for open hearth burning. My question is about effiency? What is better for heating, open or closed?

Garett

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. DonCT

DonCT Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Bristol, Connecticut
    I would venture to say that it will burn hotter and more efficient with the screen removed and the door closed. The screen is there just for the cozy effect.
  3. begreen

begreen Mooderator Staff Member

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    When the doors are open, the stove will be much more inefficient. When properly regulated wiith the doors closed, it is a finely tuned stove. With the doors open, there is little (none?) secondary combustion and a much greater volume of air being sucked out of the room and up the chimney. Please note that according to the manual, the stove is ok for operation with the doors open only if connected to an 8" flue.
  4. G-rott

G-rott Member

Loc:
    Petoskey Michigan
    Thanks Guys, the stove is up and cookin'

FYI, the flue is 8" :cheese:

Garett
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.