VC Encore NC installed....

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

heffergm

Hearth Supporter
Nov 24, 2009
South Shore, MA
So the stove is in. The living room is now 80 degrees... And this the first break in fire!

My Condar thermometer reads 50f high based on my oven test, so I've had it up to around 450f. As for the install, what a pain in the butt! I felt bad for the guys... My chimney has a huge S bend in it that they had a bear of a time getting the pipe down.

After an hour or so of burning a few small splits I closed the damper down and things fizzled... as expected. But amazingly enough 20 minutes later with only a small coal bed and maybe 3 small splits in the stove, I closed it down again when it hit about 450 and voilà! The secondaries kicked in and they're oh so pretty.

I was a bit petrified of this stove, but so far so good... I'm keeping the loads very light until I know how it behaves. The wood I'm burning at the moment is bone dry which helps of course.

On another note, given that funky bend in the chimney, is it somethng I should tell the sweep when I next have him out here? What I do t want is that portion to go uncleaned because it's tough to navigate with a brush. I'm not much of a roof guy or I'd do it myself. Although I think he'll have to go in from the stove end to get some of it.

I think you'll enjoy the stove. Once you get to know how it handles the wood you have and the outside temps things will go smoothly. I experimented with when I closed things down and how the burn responded to reloading, raking the coals up front etc.

Absolutely tell the sweep about the flue setup; he'll be better prepared to work with it if he knows.

Enjoy

You're going to find that you just sit and stare, mesmerized by the secondary combustion.

-SF

Congrats on the new stove! Get in a habit of looking at the chimney cap....if your stack is smoking (while bypass closed), then she's not burning right. This stove has a much longer learning curve in terms of proper operation. Once you discover that fine spot.....she'll throw some wicked heat at you ;-)

Well done! Enjoy your fine Encore NC.

Well seasoned wood is a must for proper
Everburn function, creosote control, burn times
and clean glass. On the last part, just use damp
to wet newspaper on the cold glass. When
you do your ashes, it is a good time to clean it.

Burn safely and wisely.

Status
Not open for further replies.