VC enthusiasts - need your input quick!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

precaud

Minister of Fire
Jan 20, 2006
Sunny New Mexico
www.linearz.com
A local guy is selling an "older model" VC Resolute, describes it as "in good condition but in need of damper/firewall rebuild and gasket replacement." He's asking $200. What's involved in the damper/firewall rebuild? I'm thinking of grabbing it for a winter project.

Its called the upper and lower fire back which includes the damper frame and assembly

which model?

Parts may not be all available.......you might be sorry! I would not purchase such a stove on a quickie. A number of folks have contacted me who have picked up similar resi's in excellent condition for the same price or less (lucky finds).......

I think the VC policy is to keep parts 10 years after stopping model production - you may find the parts elsewhere, but price could be high, and labor (even DIY) could be tough......

My opinion only, of course. Obviously we have more VCs to choose from in New England.

Older model could even be Acclaim, since it was started in 1988. Do you have description of stove. basics are

1st one had single door which dropped down
2nd had double doors
Acclaim has single which opened to side

There were more models than that (exact ones), but that is good enuf for basics.

OK, thanks guys, I guess I need to get more info from him.

Web is right about part support since VCC has n moved towards gasket seams instead of refractory joints they are not producing replacement parts beyond 20 years unless the same cast molds are still being used in today's stoves You can get Resolute Acclaim parts. If the damper upper and lower firebacks are gone. That usually j happens due to over firing.

Before getting involved check out if you can still get parts here are the suppliers I use plus exploded views of the stoves

http://www.discountstove.com/partsvcwbfreestanding.htm

personally i think if its one of the originals then free would be the right price. maybe $100. nothing against the stove but why shell out good money unless you know exactly what parts you can get for it. even if i knew i could get the parts it needed say for a couple hundred bucks, i think free is still the right price. you can find resolutes in fine condition needing nothing for $200 in the off season.

KW has it right. Good condition to me means ready to burn. Personally, I'd wait for an original Resolute I or a much later model (post 1999?). I have seen old ones in pristine condition for as little as $250 off season.

Well the seller hasn't called back so likely some other lucky soul got it... probably just as well, from the sounds of it. Besides, I need another stove like I need (fill in the blank) - I just sold the Morso last week... Thanks again everyone for your quick responses.

Status
Not open for further replies.