VC Resolute Acclaim on CL, need some help!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wildcat33

Nov 18, 2015
colorado
Greetings, I am a new member to this forum although I have gathered a lot of useful information reading the posts of others.

Situation: we have a 1800 sq ft, single level home with good attic insulation and a very old boiler heater. I am looking to put a woodstove in the living room to reduce our dependence on the boiler, as a backup if the power goes out, and as a general enjoyable feature which to gather around in the living room. So we are not depending on wood heat as our sole source, but would still like to invest in a clean burning and efficient stove.

To save some money I found a used vermont castings resolute acclaim 2490 on craigslist for sale (http://denver.craigslist.org/for/5300902901.html). From what I have read VC has a spotty reputation and this model in particular is known to require annual replacement of the combustion package as well as gaskets and whatever else. For our use would you all recommend this deal or would i be better served to pony up for a new jotul F45 or pacific energy alderlea?

I just don't want to buy something thats going to cause me tons of problems down the road, even if it does seem like a good deal now!

Dave

I just don't want to buy something thats going to cause me tons of problems down the road,
Then step away. The refractory parts are expensive, the stove can be difficult to run (note I said "can"), and as a new burner, there are better options for success.

I'm tempted to ask what better options for success you would recommend but I will wait and see what others post before I do that.

Almost any EPA phase two certified stove that isn't a downdraft stove.;)
Many options exist for an 1800 sqft well insulated home with a stove centrally located. It sounds like you have a "dream" configuration. A bit more info would help in sizing the stove, like how you intend to burn (24 X 7 or nights and weekends). The list of stoves is darn near endless that would fit the bill for your application. Englander and Century on the budget end of the scale to Morso, Quadrafire, PE, Blaze King on the upper end with tons in between.

This will be a nights a weekends type operation with 24x7 during the occasional cold snap.Important characteristics for me are:
  • Ease of use; we don't live and die by wood heat so something that is straightforward for new wood stove users would be best.
  • Reliability; I love to tinker on things and don't mind maintenance to keep things running tip top but hate designs that are not robust and require lots of attention.
  • Good looks; it's in the middle of the living room so something that looks decent would be nice
  • Not sure about the cat/non-cat thing. The engineer in me loves the science and efficiency behind a catalytic converter but that may not be best for our intended purpose.

For the heck of it; some models im considering are lopi cape cod, jotul F45, BK ashford2, and PE alderlea or vists.

Thanks for your help. Yes I have read many posts and this is probably repetitive but it really helps to get some direct feedback on a specific situation.

Every stove in your short list so far is a good choice. Have you considered stove size? The PE is a 3.0 cuft stove whereas the Jotul is a fair bit smaller (just as a comparison). For 1800 sqft and with the possibility that you might want overnight burns I would probably be looking at a 2.5+ cuft stove. Cat stoves can stretch the burn times out but at the cost of lower BTU's per hour (only so much btu's in a load of wood).

I wouldn't touch that stove with a 10 ft pole. It is too high (and costly) maintenance. Jags is right, look at 2.0-3.0 cu ft stoves if the intent is to heat the place 24/7.

Im going to go ahead and take that advice. With 57,2019 messages my guess is you know a thing or two. Cheers!
Too late - he already exceeded that.;lol

I had one. Browsing Craigslist one morning and it looked sharp in red enamel but didnt know the rough track record the acclaim has. That stove scared me. Re-sealed it twice and if it wasn't back puffing so hard the griddle would jump then it was running so hot the back would glow. My stack drafts hard but that stove caused me lots of undue stress, parts wernt cheap either. got an isle royale and love life now!

Status
Not open for further replies.