VC WinterWarm 1280 Large - chimney

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ashful

Minister of Fire
Mar 7, 2012
Philadelphia
So, a coworker came to me with a question about chimneys and clearances, for his Vermont Castings WinterWarm 1280 Large. He is having an addition put on the house, and the builder installed a truss only 1" from his masonry chimney for this stove. The chimney has a clay tile liner, and then a 10" (he believes) un-insulated stainless liner inside that.

My recollection is that the required clearance to a masonry chimney is more than 1" (actually 2" or 4" seems to stick in my head), and I would assume that an un-insulated liner inside a clay flue does not affect required clearances. I do remember very clearly that a blanket-wrapped liner stuffed into a clay tile flue will allow for "zero-zero" clearances, in which there is zero clearance between the liner and masonry/clay, and zero clearance between the outside of the stack and framing. This info came from Dale at Duravent, when I was dealing with a similar problem in my own house.

My advice to him, assuming he really does have a 10" un-insulated liner, would be to pull it, and replace with an 8" blanket-wrapped liner (same OD). His stove manual, of which I was able to find an exerpt on scribd (but not the whole manual), indicates an 8" minimum flue. His chimney is also not very tall, this being a rancher house.

Advice?

Status
Not open for further replies.