Vent cleaning with interior clean out T

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
May 1, 2012
Maine
This is my first year burning pellets and I'm almost through my first ton. Based on all I've read, it is almost time to clean the venting pipe.

I have an interior clean out T. My set up is a 4' interior rise, then a jet cap to the exterior. My question is, how do I clean out the pipe without making a giant mess inside my house? I ordered the "lint eater" system, but once I take the clean out cap off, isn't soot going to fall everywhere?

Lastly, how would you go about using the lint eater? Should I remove the ESP from my Harman Accentra FS and snake the lint eater up through the pipe, or take the exterior jet cap off the outside and snake the lint eater downwards through the pipe?

Thanks for your time and thoughts!!

LBT-Leaf Blower Trick from the outside if you can get at it.

Reactions: smoke show
Put a big piece of cardboard under the tee.

Open tee.

Stick shop vac with good filter into tee. Vacuum.

Take pipe brush or whatever you use. Brush pipe.

Vacuum again.

Take out ESP. brush through exhaust passage into tee.

Take cardboard outside carefully.

Ive put a brush out my jet from below. You may be able to put a brush in the jet have it go around the corner and down, then remove the the cleanout and vacuum.

I open the "T" clean out cap.
Suck out the cap.
Stick the lint eater into the vent.
Just behind it I stick the vacuum hose.
Run the brush all the way up and down a few times
All while holding the vac hose to the opening.
The Vac gets 95% of what falls.
I remove the linteater from the vent.
Vac the hearth under the vent.
Replace the Cleanout cap.
Put tools away.
Make a coffee.
Light Stove and enjoy.

---Nailer----

By you have Selkirk DT venting? I have 4" Selkirk DT wood pellet in the same exact setup as you. I also have a linteater. I do not remove the cap at the bottom of the cleanout T. I remove the nozzle outside and use the linteater from the outside with a powerful shop vac running at the same time. Works very good.

The way I do it is poke rod thru the side of a pellet bag and put rod thru it and start brush into pipe. Tape bag on end of tee and run brush thru pipe all ash will go into bag w/ no mess. Also u could just ru in from outside and when finished remove tee cap and dump . ash will not fly all over just a little may spill but it will sweep up. run brush from inside stove to back of tee no need to remove prob just brush past it. they are pretty stiff. There ifs no need to pull it out to scrub it b rush will remove any ash that is built up around it. The esp is a temp prob and if there is a micro thin coating on it it will not insulate it from 200-350 degree exhaust.

My way...

I remove the ash can, and push my 1" vacuum hose through the vent connection, and vacuum out the 90*.

Likewise, put the brush in, then the vacuum hose, and lint eated away, worked perfectly. Just used a wet rag on the lint eater as I pulled it back, no mess at all really.

Dealer suggested do it this way instead of the T, since I had to have mine inside as well.

Just don't hit the ESP and you'll be fine.

Plastic bag (with elastic band) over tee clean-out before removing cap.

Status
Not open for further replies.