1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Vent Moisture Cover

Post in 'The Pellet Mill - Pellet and Multifuel Stoves' started by Ejectr, Sep 27, 2012.

1. Ejectr

Ejectr Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Brimfield, MA
    Will a clean out T removable cover fit on the end of a sraight piece of vent, turn and lock like it does on the T? Seems to me that would be an excellent way to block my outside vent from moisture in the off season.

Suppose I could take one off of one of my clean out T's and try it.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. DexterDay

DexterDay Guest

The T's on my Pellet vent pro are a Male adapter. Where as all pieces have a Male end, needing a Female to continue the run.

So if its Pellet vent pro, then I dont think that will work.

I use LOTS of plastic grocery bags and plug the termination cap and then shove a like amount into the end of the pipe that the term cap goes on. So there is 2 levels of protection.
  3. Ejectr

Ejectr Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Brimfield, MA
    Thanks Dex.

I currently remove the termination cap and use a 1 gallon zip lock bag and duct tape it around the pipe. The zip lock bag is heavy plastic and stands up to the elements well over the whole off season.

I just figured if the T cap fit, it would be a really good and simple way to plug the end. Easy on...easy off, but I guess not.
  4. TheMightyMoe

TheMightyMoe Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Fairbanks, Alaska.
    Why not just buy a 6" piece of pipe, and seal that? Then pop it in, pop it out.

Easy on, easy off.
  5. CTguy9230

CTguy9230 Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Northwest CT
    why not just get a rubber fernco cap for it.....
    Utilitrack and TheMightyMoe like this.
  6. TheMightyMoe

TheMightyMoe Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Fairbanks, Alaska.
    Win.
    Utilitrack likes this.
  7. Ejectr

Ejectr Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Brimfield, MA
    I did get a rubber Fernco cap and it is a perfect air tight seal just pressing it over the top of the pipe. It's almost like it was made for it. Tightening the hose clamp made it even more so. The only thing I would change is to make the outside top convex rather than concave. Then the water wouldn't collect in the indentation. I had to put it on the vertical pipe because my installer didn't realize that there would be electrolytic corrosion between the 45 degree galvanized steel piece and the aluminum exhaust downturn deflector and they welded themselves together never again to be parted. Being able to put the Fernco on the 45 would have enabled the water to run off.
    Anyway...perfect solution to keeping the moisture and bugs out. Thanks for the suggestion.
  8. doingitonadime

doingitonadime New Member

Loc:
    shelton,ct
    I'm using shrink wrap this year worked out great on first pipe , two more to do in the following weeks
  9. mepellet

mepellet Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central ME
    I use a free pipe cap sample. Just went onto the manuf website and requested a sample in the size of my choosing. Works great!

Attached Files:

smoke show and DexterDay like this.
  10. smoke show

smoke show Guest

Damn. Good idea!
  11. mepellet

mepellet Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central ME
    smoke show likes this.