Vent terminating options

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TCZON

Feb 23, 2014
Ontario, CAN
Our pellet stove vents on the east side of the house. Prevaling wind is from the west, so the vast majority of the time, our stove runs perfectly, and life is toasty and warm. Then we get these lovely storms, and we get high winds from the East, which forces wind into our vent (goose neck style end), the stove struggles, and we end up turning it off.

I have done a quick search, but I thought I would just ask the 'experts' here if there is an end we could put onto the goose neck opening that would block the wind and allow the stove to run in all wind/weather conditions. If needed I can replace the entire chimney, but that seems to be an extreme solution, and not something I can do right away.

The current vent is 4", we're in Canada and I have no idea what brand of vent we have, as the vent and stove all came together when we bought the stove used a couple of years ago.

Thanks!

Do you have an OAK? My vent faces into a strong prevailing wind, no problems. We just have a simple down-facing cap.

We don't have an OAK installed. It hasnt been a priority, but will happen. i don't believe an OAK will solve this issue though, since on our stove the OAK attaches to the back of the stove, but not directly into the air intake for combustion.

This is clearly wind hitting the vent pipe, with obvious guttering of the flame with an intense wind gust. Right now we're getting steady east wind of 50km/hr, gusting to 70km/hr. we only have this problem with high east winds.

Your owners manual / installation manual can be found here:

http://www.rural-energy.net/docs/om_dEco45.pdf

On page 6 you'll find this:

COMBUSTION AIR SUPPLY

For a mobile home installation the stove must be connected to an outside source of combustion air. A 3” inside diameter metallic pipe, either flexible or rigid, may be attached to the inlet at the stove’s rear (refer to figures 4, 5 & 6). A rodent guard (minimum 1⁄4” wire mesh) must be used at the terminus (refer to figure 5). All connections must be secured and airtight by either using the appropriately sized hose clamp and/or UL-181-AP foil tape.

For mobile home installations only: No combustion air supply may exceed 10 feet.

Sources of Outside Combustion Air

• A hole in floor near stove rear terminating only in a ventilated crawl space.
  • A hole in the wall behind the stove.

WHEN OUTSIDE AIR IS NOT USED

If outside air is not used, it is important that combustion air be easily available to the air inlet. A closeable outside air register can be used in tightly insulated homes.

Figure 4 and figure 5 on Page 6 has the diagrams.

The OAK, if installed as per the diagrams, will draw all of the combustion air from outside of the house.

All that said....how much of a stack do you have for the exhaust vent? Most of the backdraft issues I've read about in the forums have the stoves dumping the exhaust horizontally out the wall, with no rise in the pipe.
Page 7 Figure 7 shows how my own stove is installed. From the bottom of the clean out T to the top of the exhaust vent is not quite 36", seems to work fine.

Last edited:
Our pellet stove vents on the east side of the house. Prevaling wind is from the west, so the vast majority of the time, our stove runs perfectly, and life is toasty and warm. Then we get these lovely storms, and we get high winds from the East, which forces wind into our vent (goose neck style end), the stove struggles, and we end up turning it off.

I have done a quick search, but I thought I would just ask the 'experts' here if there is an end we could put onto the goose neck opening that would block the wind and allow the stove to run in all wind/weather conditions. If needed I can replace the entire chimney, but that seems to be an extreme solution, and not something I can do right away.

The current vent is 4", we're in Canada and I have no idea what brand of vent we have, as the vent and stove all came together when we bought the stove used a couple of years ago.

Thanks!
My original vent was factory and worked well if there was no wind but when the wind blew the stove acted up. I tried blocking the wind with a piece of plywood which did help but finally just removed the factory endcap and added a 90 degree elbow pointed down. This was simple and works most of the time. Last year I put a couple steel rods in the ground to support a piece of plywood if needed and kept a piece of plywood handy just in case. I suspect I could have cut the plywood to look like Santa's sleigh to make it look appealing but that is for next year.

Reactions: bags
Status
Not open for further replies.