Venting help!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kmbro

Sep 21, 2008
western ma
hi - this forum seems very knowledgeable & helpful & i realize this is not the best way to receive advice & this topic is well discussed but.... after paying for a stove & pellets from a local dealer almost 4 months ago with no delivery in sight for near future got a refund & bought an englander at lowes. We're trying to do a dyi install. Opened the vent instructions & find out the window spec. are very confusing and we are very limited as to where we can put the stove in our house. Can someone tell me if it's ok to place a direct vent in this area in the outdoor pic? As you can see the driveway is right there and the measurements are just under 48" from the windows & there's a dryer vent in the bottom lright of the pic. We don't even know of we're interpreting those specs correctly. The salesman we initially bought the first stove from said only that it had to vent 18" off the ground with a few inches clearance to interior walls. Lowes of course is no help. Code inspector for the city said install first & then they'll inspect - what if we do it wrong? Any help much appreciated , Thanks.

http://kmbro1.bizland.com/images/pellet1.jpg

http://kmbro1.bizland.com/images/pellet2.jpg

I'm sorry I can't download your manual right now, my connection is too slow. But experience tells me you'll likely be too close to the wall. Another thing to consider is that you'll likely turn the side of your house black with that set up. I'd come out where you want to but install a T and go up through your eve. Assuming this is a single floor home. I'll download your manual tomorrow at work if your question doesn't get answered today.

The stove manual is what the code enforcement should go by. Generally the vent has to be at least 12 inches away from the house and 18 inches over grade. The 48 inches from opening window or door can be solved by going up with the vent at an angle way from the window usually at a 45 degree angle. Keep in mind the clearances have to be met with the pipe.

Thanks for the responses so far - going up through the eve & to the roof looks like an option, but 1 more question. If the direct venting option going right out the wall is within regs what kind of exhaust will be coming out of this as far as heat wise. Since our driveway is right there will it be a safety issue? There is a wall protector that came with the kit to help with soot. thanks.

I was able to get around window clearance issues by going up just enough to get more than 12" above them.

Here is a drawing that I made to bring to the inspector before I started. I went to the building department with the instruction manual and this print and they gave me the OK before I started. They approved it with no trouble after my install was finished.

http://www.box.net/shared/uztxsym0ws

A couple things to remember...

1. Going up at least 60 inches can help give you some favorable draft and help keep your house from filling with smoke if the electricity goes out.

2. You can choose to go up then out or out then up depending upon your preference...

I am just trying to help give you some additional ideas...

More pics of the house could be helpful...

Status
Not open for further replies.