venting insert in brick fireplace

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

blackdog1

Jan 4, 2012
Maine
Great info here...thanks for feedback on other questions I have posted so far as I am researching.

What about venting the insert...I have an outside brick chimney with clay liner, so far dealers I have talked to want to automatically run the ss liner all the way up the chimney but I am wondering about putting hole through back of chimney and running vent straight back?

Seems like it would be easier to clean if it is vented straight back and I realize if I ever changed my mind and pulled the pellet insert out that we would have to fill in the hole. Also, seems like material and labor would be a lot cheaper to vent straight back?

What about stove performance based venting up chimney or straight back through the chimney?

Thanks!

You need to check the installation instructions for the insert to find out if direct horizontal venting is allowed for the stove. Venting is stove specific and while a lot of it is general there are limitations as to what can be done.

Code can force the full or partial liner issue when going up. Do your homework first buy last, measure at least twice and commit them to a sketch on paper, cut exactly once. Don't cut corners on the install it will come back to haunt you big time.

Code here requires a full liner to the top. Dealer told me a 5 foot minimum vertical rise was required by the manufacturer. As far as cleaning I have determined it should be pretty easy to clean the entire liner from the bottom using a Soot Eater and my ash vac. I am afraid of heights and have zero plans to go up on my roof if I don't have to.

You can, however, go right out the back wall of the fireplace for your OAK. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.