Venting Isle Royale

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Chrism

Feeling the Heat
Hearth Supporter
Oct 8, 2009
Eastern PA
I'm doing away with my fireplace and I bought an aisle Royale how do you vent the isle Royale up the existing chimney do I need to vent it through double insulated pipe? Thanks
Venting Isle RoyaleVenting Isle Royale

The chimney will need to be thoroughly cleaned first. Then an insulated 6" liner will need to be installed, ending in a tee connection to the rear vent of the stove. Check the mantel clearance requirements for the stove. It is a strongly radiant heater.

Reactions: Chrism
The chimney will need to be thoroughly cleaned first. Then an insulated 6" liner will need to be installed, ending in a tee connection to the rear vent of the stove. Check the mantel clearance requirements for the stove. It is a strongly radiant heater.
Just out of curiosity why do I have to use a insulated liner ? why cant I use my existing chimney to vent the stove ?

The chimney flue is too large. That would dramatically slow down the draft and cool the flue gases causing poor performance and creosote build-up. The Isle Royale requires a 6" stainless liner all the way to the top of the chimney. Most chimneys are not up to code. To work with an uninsulated liner, code requires the chimney be 2" from any combustible (interior) or 1" if exterior. It is rare to find a chimney build to code. There is usually wood in contact with it. Insulating the liner brings the installation down to zero clearance. It also improves draft.

How tall is the chimney?

Venting Isle Royale