Venting options

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Trktrd

Feeling the Heat
Hearth Supporter
Nov 12, 2010
Arkansas
Now that I have my newly acquired Ashley up and running properly, and am very happy with its operation, I am going to move it from the barn into the house. Here is my question. It will have to be vented through the wall and the stove has the option of rear or top venting. Which way would create a better draft? Up and out or straight through the wall and up?

Straight out. The reason is if you first go up and then out you are adding an elbow which effectively reduces your chimney height by 2-3 feet.

Also remember that any horizontal section of pipe needs a minimum of 1/4" rise per foot of horizontal. We went about 1/2" per foot and have no problem.

Dennis is correct, but I would strongly consider going top vent. Straight out means the thimble location has to be designed for this one stove. If later on you want to change stoves, the odds are that the new stove flue won't align or perhaps the new stove only has a top exit option. By going top exit, the thimble can be placed higher which will provide greater future adaptability.

If draft is a concern with top exit, some options to consider for improving draft are to use 45's with a diagonal connector instead of a 90 elbow, use double-wall connector pipe and/or add some more height to the exterior chimney.

What is (or will be) the exterior chimney height?

Once outside the chimney will be approx 9' above the elbow.

PROBLEM SOLVED ! The through- the-wall thing was a result of the Mrs. saying "YOU ARE NOT CUTTING A HOLE IN MY ROOF!!!" She has finally overcome her fears and given me the green light. Next question. A friend has offered me pipe and fittings from his old house to help out. (price is a factor.....unemployed for a while now). It is galvanized double wall. Is this pipe safe to use or is it obsolete. I am trying to keep cost down but not sacrifice safety. The reason i ask is that all I see people using now is stainles steel.

Don't use galvanized inside the home for sure! SS is best.

So it's OK to use from the ceiling to the cap ? If so does it need more regular cleaning than SS ?

I'm sure that only the outer skin is galvanized and that the inner liner is SS so cleaning would be no different. It also would not matter that there is galvanized inside the home as it should never get hot enough to off-gas. I think BWS was thinking single wall galvanized as in heating ducts which should never be used for smoke pipe.

Good. I'm planning to paint it black with high temp paint and run the double wall all the way to the stove.

Status
Not open for further replies.