Venting out the back of an existing chimney

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

HNilsson

Feb 5, 2013
Hello,

We've just purchased a QuadraFire Castile standalone pellet stove. The stove will be sitting just inside an existing fireplace on the first floor and we're debating on how to vent it. We have a three-story chimney, so going up the chimney is going to be quite a bit more expensive than drilling a hole straight out the back of the fireplace ($1400 more expensive, to be exact, and that doesn't include the chimney sweeping fee we'd also have to pay with this option). I'm wondering if there are pros and cons to either ventilation option, other than the obvious cost difference and the unsightly pipe sticking out the side of the chimney outside. Any advice would be very appreciated.

Hope

$1400.00???? WOW. I've seen 4" stainless 30' liner kits on eBay for under $400. They even had free shipping and a pellet pipe adapter.

IMO, I think the pipe sticking out of the back of a chimney will look terrible, and the liner is the way to go.

Don't put the pipe out the back of the chimney. It will eventually cause issues, and when you go to sell your home, buyers will have a major issue with a giant hole in the chimney.

We have done a few through the rear chimney wall, no problems so far. According to a mason to repair the hole about $10 in material and an hour or two of labor. No need for ladders once the top is capped. My retail cost on a 4" liner kit is about $600. I would say go for it.

Eric

We have done a few through the rear chimney wall, no problems so far. According to a mason to repair the hole about $10 in material and an hour or two of labor. No need for ladders once the top is capped. My retail cost on a 4" liner kit is about $600. I would say go for it.

Eric
It just looks like [pardon my french]

and as a former Realtor, I can tell you on resale it probably won't go over well.

Status
Not open for further replies.