Venting

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bulldogmoose

Nov 21, 2013
Warwick, RI
Hey guys,

Just wondering if anyone knows local building codes in Rhode Island. I want to vent my stove that's in my breezeway through my garage and up the roof. I need to do this to be able to meet the 10 feet minimum for piping to be away from the house so I don't have to have a giant stack going up. First off, am I allowed to do that, and secondly, does the class A pipe need to be enclosed since its technically indoors? Also, can I use a 3 foot piece going through the wall to reach my 10 feet clearance?

https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/venting-wood-stove.146316/#post-1970089

I would say that if it's all under the same roof then it should be ok as long as it's enclosed. You will want to Keep your horizontal run to the minimum. This may be a question for your insurance more than a code question. Lots and lots of masonry chimneys are in an attached garage and servicing a stove that's in the house.

Be aware that even if it does meet code having a short chimney near a higher house like you have proposed may still not work well. It also may be fine but when you combine that with a 3' horizontal run you may be asking for issues. And what would the over all height of the chimney be?

If you want to know local code why dont you call the local code office? They will know allot better than us.

What stove is it? 15' with 3' horizontal and a tee would be rough for some stoves.

I still think it will be very hard to get the heat out of that breezeway. But if you want to know if it can be done you need to talk to your local code guys and ask them what is required. I would bet you can do it but you will need it enclosed in the garage.

Yes I remember our previous discussion and I just looked at our private conversation. I think getting the heat out of there will be an issue I think a 15' chimney with a 3' horizontal run may be an issue. And all of that while within the code requirement being next to the taller house may cause even more issues. If you choose to do it I hope it all works out but to me there are to many potential problems for the stove in that location vented that way.

First would be stove in a different location. But if it has to be there I would go straight up with it. We have been through all of this before and my answers will be the same they were a year ago.

My chimney guy said it would be very hard to brace goin straight yp
Yes it would be but it is possible and there then would be no question as to whether or not the stove would work.

What did he say about running it into the garage. He should know the local codes.

Status
Not open for further replies.