Vermont Castings Dutchwest

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
HotCoals said:
dyerkutn said:
Dakotas Dad said:
neumsky said:
Is it a general consensus that it would be easier for the wife to run a non cat for the wife tho?

My wife will be along in a few to make a comment about the "spirit" of what you, poor lost soul that you are, have written.

If your wife can walk and chew bubble gum, she can run a cat stove. It has exactly twice as many "levers" as a non-cat stove, and the SEX of the operator has nothing to do with being able to operate them.

I am a 60 year old totally non-handy woman who has been successfully running a very old (1983) Dutchwest Federal Airtight Catalytic stove for 12 years. I just followed the instructions in the manual. It gets a bit dirty at times with all the loading and so forth but if I can do it probably your wife can too!
I'm curious,
Are you still using the original cat?
If not how many have you been through?
Thanks,
Dave.

I had the stove checked out this spring (being non-handy) and the guy told me that he thinks it is the original. It is extremely scuzzy but he said as long as it is not cracked it is ok. FYI there are three controls--the front door air vent, the side door airvent and the ?bypass--it is basically a flue damper. When it is hot I close all three to burn the wood as slowly as possible. Never thought I could actually have info that is useful to anybody!

I would say if you have been using the cat for 12 years it is probably spent! It may not look bad but they only last about 10 years tops. Unless you only burn occasionally, then who knows how long it'll last? A new cat would probably light off much quicker and longer, providing much more heat. It would save you on wood. Look up Woodstock Soapstone Stove company, they have good prices on the new stainless steel (about $125.)

dyerkutn said:
Dakotas Dad said:
neumsky said:
Is it a general consensus that it would be easier for the wife to run a non cat for the wife tho?

My wife will be along in a few to make a comment about the "spirit" of what you, poor lost soul that you are, have written.

If your wife can walk and chew bubble gum, she can run a cat stove. It has exactly twice as many "levers" as a non-cat stove, and the SEX of the operator has nothing to do with being able to operate them.

I am a 60 year old totally non-handy woman who has been successfully running a very old (1983) Dutchwest Federal Airtight Catalytic stove for 12 years. I just followed the instructions in the manual. It gets a bit dirty at times with all the loading and so forth but if I can do it probably your wife can too!

Right on! Welcome to the forum!

Ray

dyerkutn said:
HotCoals said:
dyerkutn said:
Dakotas Dad said:
neumsky said:

I'm curious,
Are you still using the original cat?
If not how many have you been through?
Thanks,
Dave.

I had the stove checked out this spring (being non-handy) and the guy told me that he thinks it is the original. It is extremely scuzzy but he said as long as it is not cracked it is ok. FYI there are three controls--the front door air vent, the side door airvent and the ?bypass--it is basically a flue damper. When it is hot I close all three to burn the wood as slowly as possible. Never thought I could actually have info that is useful to anybody!

Just because it is not cracked doesn't mean it is still working.. Do you have a cat thermometer and does the cat get into the normal range? If it doesn't then your cat is dead and needs to be replaced.. If you go outside when all is running as it should you should see no smoke coming from your chimney..

Ray

Ray--well this is new and interesting info. the temp on the round thermometer stays between 800 and 1200 depending on how attentive I am to adding wood--probably more if I really packed it. Right now both vents and the damper (is that the bypass?) are shut and there is smoke coming out of the chimney and the temp is 1000. unless there is some other way to measure the temp.--and it is really hot it here.

So does this mean I am not burning as efficiently as possible? I know that when everything is closed the wood burns quite slowly and I am pretty sure without flames. I put in a few pieces about 90 minutes ago. Also, I have had the chimney and pipe (which extends close to 20 feet from the stove to vaulted ceiling ) checked twice over the last few years and both time they said there was no build up of creosote or ashes.

dyerkutn said:
Ray--well this is new and interesting info. the temp on the round thermometer stays between 800 and 1200 depending on how attentive I am to adding wood--probably more if I really packed it. Right now both vents and the damper (is that the bypass?) are shut and there is smoke coming out of the chimney and the temp is 1000. unless there is some other way to measure the temp.--and it is really hot it here.

So does this mean I am not burning as efficiently as possible? I know that when everything is closed the wood burns quite slowly and I am pretty sure without flames. I put in a few pieces about 90 minutes ago. Also, I have had the chimney and pipe (which extends close to 20 feet from the stove to vaulted ceiling ) checked twice over the last few years and both time they said there was no build up of creosote or ashes.

Sounds like you're burning OK.. The smoke you're seeing could be a bit of steam if it dissipates a short distance from the chimney and if not your bypass damper gasket could be leaking..

Ray

VCBurner said:
I would say if you have been using the cat for 12 years it is probably spent! It may not look bad but they only last about 10 years tops. Unless you only burn occasionally, then who knows how long it'll last? A new cat would probably light off much quicker and longer, providing much more heat. It would save you on wood. Look up Woodstock Soapstone Stove company, they have good prices on the new stainless steel (about $125.)

I do NOT run it continuously nor do I rely on it exclusively. I work majorly full time and other involvements keep me out on some nights for meetings. ON weekends I wait till the sun has stopped warming ( I have very large windows south facing). Also, I do not use it exclusively. If I only have a couple of hours in the house, as between coming home and going to sleep, I do not start it up. In the late afternoon I put on my oil heat till I get the stove going and in the morning before work I rely on oil heat. Also, I have no idea how much the people who owned the house before me used it. I burn about a cord of wood each season from late Oct till late March or early April. So what do you think about the amount of use that is.

raybonz said:
dyerkutn said:

Sounds like you're burning OK.. The smoke you're seeing could be a bit of steam if it dissipates a short distance from the chimney and if not your bypass damper gasket could be leaking..

Ray

I really appreciate your feedback. It does dissipate pretty quickly. Where would thy damper gasket be located. I mean what do I have to do to see it?

I have not check this forum since I posted in early spring looking for a house call---was brought back by the need for some brass handles and am now motivated to learn more about the stove. I got the idea from reading other posts that I have done pretty well (you know, for a non-handy person) which is reassuring but I at this point welcome information to be a more knowledgeable user.

One cord of wood a year is light usage as I burn about 3 per year and did with my old CDW as well.. At that rate a cat could last 15+ years.. Make sure your wood is well seasoned and you'll be fine..

Ray

dyerkutn said:

If your temp probe is reading 800-1200 your cat seems to be working. To avoid smoke out the chimney try letting the stove go through it's burn cycle. By this I mean, put what wood in you need, let it burn back down 'yil your temp probe reads 300-400 degrees, reload wood, close damper, open primary air control about a third of the way, char wood 'til temps go back up to 500-600, close the stove down, go through burn cycle....repeat.

This should help.

dyerkutn said:
raybonz said:
dyerkutn said:

Ray

I really appreciate your feedback. It does dissipate pretty quickly. Where would thy damper gasket be located. I mean what do I have to do to see it?

I have not check this forum since I posted in early spring looking for a house call---was brought back by the need for some brass handles and am now motivated to learn more about the stove. I got the idea from reading other posts that I have done pretty well (you know, for a non-handy person) which is reassuring but I at this point welcome information to be a more knowledgeable user.

Not sure on your stove as it is older than the one I had.. It is the rope gasket that the bypass damper seals against when open the bypass when you load wood.. They tend to get displaced over time and/or deteriorate with the heat.... Hard to explain..

Ray

dyerkutn said:
raybonz said:
dyerkutn said:

Ray

If the "smoke" dissipates quickly it's probably just water vapor which is normal.. Sounds like you're doing fine there..

Ray

Hardrockmaple said:
dyerkutn said:

If your temp probe is reading 800-1200 your cat seems to be working. To avoid smoke out the chimney try letting the stove go through it's burn cycle. By this I mean, put what wood in you need, let it burn back down 'yil your temp probe reads 300-400 degrees, reload wood, close damper, open primary air control about a third of the way, char wood 'til temps go back up to 500-600, close the stove down, go through burn cycle....repeat.

This should help.

By primary air control do you mean the one on the front by my ash area or the one on the side door. I have always opened the front one when starting up, closed the damper around 500-600 and then closed the front down when it gets to around 800 and only opened the side one for a little extra air when needed (like when the temp drops but there is still wood)

dyerkutn said:
Hardrockmaple said:
dyerkutn said:

This should help.

By primary air control do you mean the one on the front by my ash area or the one on the side door. I have always opened the front one when starting up, closed the damper around 500-600 and then closed the front down when it gets to around 800 and only opened the side one for a little extra air when needed (like when the temp drops but there is still wood)

Sounds like you know what you're doing to me.. Just be careful with primary air as it can cause an overfire if you forget to close it.. I left it closed and used only secondary air but what you're doing is fine..

Ray

dyerkutn said:
I do NOT run it continuously nor do I rely on it exclusively. I work majorly full time and other involvements keep me out on some nights for meetings. ON weekends I wait till the sun has stopped warming ( I have very large windows south facing). Also, I do not use it exclusively. If I only have a couple of hours in the house, as between coming home and going to sleep, I do not start it up. In the late afternoon I put on my oil heat till I get the stove going and in the morning before work I rely on oil heat. Also, I have no idea how much the people who owned the house before me used it. I burn about a cord of wood each season from late Oct till late March or early April. So what do you think about the amount of use that is.
1 cord a year is very light use. Most people around here burn around 3-4, at least the ones who use their stoves for primary heat. There is no exact number of cords per cat that I know of, but from the sounds of it, yours may still be good, as you are an occasional user. When I had a Dutchwest, after buying a new stainless steel cat, I could load the stove and put down the damper much quicker, but it sounds like your situation may not require quick reloads. I used to load the stove before going to work in the morning, as it was my primary source of heat. So quicker reloading was nice. I would still recommend a new cat if you want to maximize the performance of your stove. But why spend the money if it seems to work well without it. Temps of 800-1200 on the cat probe are a good indicator that it may still be doing its job.

Some pointers:
1) you don't have to wait until your cat probe says 500° before shutting the damper, as long as things are heating up and it is climbing beyond 300° you can shut the damper. The wood should be burning with all the visible logs at least 3/4 engulfed in flames.
2) as soon as you shut the damper also shut the primary air (in front on sides of the door) to only 1/4 open-almost fully shut. Shutting the primary air quicker will actually make the catalyst light off quicker.
These adjustments should allow you to save on wood, while elongating the heat output per load.

Status
Not open for further replies.