vermont castings ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bjkjoseph

Mar 31, 2008
long island
i bought a vermont castings aspen 1920 for my tv room last year,it was the perfect size and looked great.but then i lit a fire,i could not control the fire,turn the air all the way down no affect. the installer called some engineer,he said may be the draft is to strong so they put one of those little pancake dampers on the pipe behind the stove.close the damper a little and the house fills with smoke,the door latch was put on wrong in the factory,so they jammed the door shut and shipped it off so now it needs a new door gasket,i bring the door in and get a new gasket, bring it home and light a fire, same thing leaking smoke ,burning too hot.so i find out the front seal on both sides is leaking and the top plate gasket is leaking,the stove is just a total lemon,i would have had them take it back but they stopped making black enamel,how can they stop making black?has anybody else had problems? the stove guy said he has never had a problem with vermont castings and i always heard good things about them.it took months to get fixed,if somebody from the company would have come as soon as there was a problem it would have been resolved much sooner,i finally just fixed it myself,also the top plate was stripped.this has been a very expensive lesson and stressful i hope for there sake this is an isolated case, but i find that hard to believe.

I'm new to the wood stove scene but i learned one thing quickly. VC is not what it use to be.

I did months and months of research and i was very close to buying the VC Encore. It's such a nice looking stove, perfect for what i needed but the reviews (from this site) were always negative. I eventually settled on the Woodstock Fireview (not yet installed, hope to have it in this week). I've heard nothing but good reviews (from this site) about it. I've heard ever since VC was sold to a Canadian company it's gone downhill.

Like i said i'm new to this, but this is what i've learned.

Good luck

If you read the other threads here, you will see that VC filed bankruptcy this year and only sold in July. They also have claimed they are not honoring warranties from before 2008.....and even those on a case-by-case basis.

Right up until the end, they were claiming no problems.....but we had a bunch of users here that WERE having problems.

Hopefully, the new company will get this brand name back to their roots. Quality was really their main sales point.

V.C. Bankrupt and not offering any warranty service....been news for 2 -3 months now....sorry dude

Here is my obligatory complaining about Vermont Castings:

I bought a Defiant Catalytic in 2005. I sold it last year to the dealer that installed my Mansfield. I think he was just going to part it out for spares. Good riddance. It had lots of problems. Buy another stove from anyone else. Life is too short to worry about a house fire from an unreliable wood stove. Vermont Castings was really run into the ground over the years. It's a shame.

you are right i started looking i need one that fits into a fire place either the homestead or the jotul,there pricey though ,but i don't have much of a choice,thanks to all for the advice

I did buy one of V.C $450 Bar-B-Que grills 2 years ago. It is blue and does match my grandmothers hair...I wonder if that section of the company is kaput also? I did have a warranty issue last year and called Vancouver or some place in western Canada and they were very nice and sent a replacement part.

Status
Not open for further replies.