Vermont Iron Elm

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 3, 2008
Western Mass
Looking into purchasing a small/medium wood stove this summer. Currently interested in a Jotul F3CB or a VC Intrepid II. I've been following the recent revival of the Elm stove (www.vermontironstove.com) and have become very interested in these little stoves. Anyone have any experience with them? Though aesthetically pretty, they don't seem as though they'd have a very long burn time because of the short height firebox. The owner of Vermont Iron Stoves has been posting videos of experimentation with secondary combustion in hopes of emissions certification... http://www.youtube.com/user/slatterbench70

Any thoughts
Jon

Well I have a non-cat 18'' Elm 1978 I think. Dad burned it evey night heated 1100 sq feet with no problem open floor plan. And we would still have hot coals in the morning, some kindling and open the air and damper and she would fire right up. However it's not an EPA stove not sure if you can put one in a house now. Same house with all my Big furniture and big TV so something had to go as it sat in the middle of the living room. I had a woodshop built 24'x 32' And she now has a second life, and yes when dampened down if I get up early and get out there she will still have coals as long as it's good wood.

I read (possibly on this forum in an older post) that he's trying to get them to pass EPA. It's a shoestring operation, and I wish him well.

The stove looks nice, and it seems like having a curved top would be good for concentrating gases into a hot secondary burn. Likewise the coals will collect down into the bottom and stay hot.

Even though the cat-Elm and the secondary combustion modified units seem to have reputations as clean burning, is there a potential for any issues with buying a non-EPA stove and having it installed/inspected in Mass? Not that this stove would be a culprit, but don't some areas have laws against prolonged visible smoke/odor?

Unique and beautiful stove. I wish them luck in moving forward if they are trying to do so. Always better to have more choices than less. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.