vertical rise for wittus stove? install tmrw

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CrowBean

Jun 30, 2011
Cumberland, RI
Is a two foot vertical rise in a horizontal piping enough or should I just make it 3ft? My dealer was talking no vertical but after reading alot of venting posts everyone seems to like the vertical to prevent smoke from entering the house. My install is tmrw very excited. The reason I say two foot is aesthetically its hidden better

Follow whatever the stove manufacturer recommends.

It is really that simple and unless the stove is below grade the vertical portion of the venting can be outside.

I've read the manufacturers installation instructions and of course there's a better to worse install. I have to make it look as modern as possible for the woman so im trying to hide the pipes as much a s possible. I can always add a vertical later right?

CrowBean said:
I've read the manufacturers installation instructions and of course there's a better to worse install. I have to make it look as modern as possible for the woman so im trying to hide the pipes as much a s possible. I can always add a vertical later right?

What you can add later depends upon what you do now, how much you want to spend later, and what the manufacturer says can be done.

The one thing you do not want to do is blow off the manufacturer's recommendations for aesthetic reasons. When playing with exhaust systems aesthetics doesn't enter into the equation at all.

If you have the stove above ground level and the manufacturer says you can horizontal vent and poking a hole in the wall provides all of the proper outside clearances for the vent then do that. If the manufacturer recommends a vertical section then do that.

The only thing a vent has to do is get the deadly combustion gases out of the house in a manner that doesn't allow them to come back in or catch combustible things on fire (This includes things that happen when the stove is operating in a failure mode).

Note I have not looked at the installation manual for your stove.

To be safe, you can add the 2ft. Having 2ft of Vert, is better than 0ft of vert.

Will you also be installing an OAK?

If you do a direct vent now (straight out), then it will only take a few pieces of pipe (90 or Clean-out T, 2-3 vert piece, etc) to add it later. But if the Manuf says it can be a direct vent, then there should be no performance lost. My Englander has 5 ft of Vert, My Quad is Direct vent. Both work as they should. Both installed per manual.

The manual states you must have an oak if you direct vent which would be another 100-200 dollars so I think I would rather add a 3 ft vertical on the inside just for versatility later. Im calling the 3ft pipe "character" to my girl. What kinda worries me is the dealer was going to install it without an oak...good thing I got you guys

No matter what the installation folks tell you the manufacturer's instructions are required for the stove's certifications and in most jurisdictions are also code.

CrowBean said:
....I think I would rather add a 3 ft vertical on the inside just for versatility later.....

If I'm reading this right, and you go up 3 ft. on the interior and then out through the wall, how is that "versatile"? Once you put the hole through the wall, you are committed to that height inside.

Only other options after that are to add another 90 degree elbow or cleanout T outside, and go up from there....then you possibly get into excessive EVL.

Is the stove exhaust pipe 3" or 4"?

In my mind if i do the 3 ft vertical inside then if down the line a new stove is needed i have the versatility of adding a stove. otherwise wont the thimble be at the height of only the current stove??? im asking for your opinion on this matter thanks

CrowBean said:
In my mind if i do the 3 ft vertical inside then if down the line a new stove is needed i have the versatility of adding a stove. otherwise wont the thimble be at the height of only the current stove??? im asking for your opinion on this matter thanks

Yes, if you do a direct vent, THEN the thimble will line up with this stove and MAYBE a different stove in the future. I thought you meant the height of the thimble if you went up just 3'.

IMO, do a 4' vertical inside, and then out.....then you're sure to have a good draft, and you have the exhaust well off the ground level outside.

my install is on the 2nd floor of a raised ranch so clearance wont be an issue but thanks for looking out. Yeah that was the reason for the inside install.

Status
Not open for further replies.