Vertical (Up & Out or Out & Up) Rise vs. Horizontal Venting -- Questions Answered Here

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sydney1963

Oct 4, 2008
Windham Maine
So, I have a question. On another thread I was told that my vertical rise was not long enough to take care of smoke back during power outages. After many hours of reading on this forum before installation I thought what we did was the best option. We decided to go Up 4 ft and then Out as I thought a warm vent pipe had the best natural draft during an outage. Is this correct?

Thanks All

I think you are correct.

When I installed my stove, I could not find a 45* elbow locally (it's in a corner). To get it going, I just went straight out with a 2' vent pipe and a hood.

So far, no soot on the outside of the house, but it will smoke inside the house if it loses power (until I hook up the battery).

Eventually, I want to turn it 45* in the corner and go up and out rather than out and up. I figure I'll gain a bit of heat inside from the vertical pipe and still achieve some draft.

I'll have to patch the existing hole either way, so it's no big deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.