Vid and Pics. What the heck is this?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jbakerinc

Oct 19, 2015
Bedford PA
Ok. Let me set the scene. Im stoking the fire getting up to approx 500 on my flue temp. gauge. ITs getting there so I open the door and hear a popcorn boiling sound from right where my stainless liner meets my stovepipe.
So common sense charges in and I freak a little. Close the door and primary air and it stops. So i get curious. open the door it starts. close it stops. I get on here and read. ect. ect. Clean chimney. Wet wood. tell tale signs.

Here is a poor quality video for your enjoyment.

th_E000644D-24B0-45B6-BB3B-D0E686428BA4_zps9omwrvmm.mp4.jpg

SO I was not comfortable with these noises. so I let the fire burn out overnight so i could take a few pics this morning.

CEECB615-94E7-4BCA-AB5F-28617010066A_zpsgari5baz.jpg
19355483-DDA2-48B1-B245-1D08FB9D8D62_zpsti39vllg.jpg
18F16DD7-117A-46ED-A69B-A5AD750326EE_zpse5kuhwxj.jpg

Looks ok? maybe? where is the noise coming from? Boiling creosote within the liner? Metal expanding? Liner is virtually new. approx 3-4 weeks of burning.

Any help/advise is appreciated.

I am guessing that you are hearing the crinkle, crunch of an expanding and contracting liner. When you open the door you are introducing alot of room temp air to the stove. It is much cooler than the heated air in the stove and can cause a quick thermal change.
Mind you - this is my best guess, the liner does not look to be in bad shape yet, but for only burning for a couple of weeks I would seriously suggest frequent inspection and sweep as needed till you get familiar with how it is running.

Status
Not open for further replies.