Video link to Pellet Stove Cleaning with Leaf Blower

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
CanadaClinker said:
nice job james :lol: ..... it does a great job too cleaning my CB1200...... I was thinking when the 'door open or closed' was mentioned..... I'll bet that with the door closed, the suction would clean right back to the air intake.... which would probably take care of any lint balls that might build up over time and clog the air intake chamber a bit ........either under the stove (like mine) or in the back...... thats one place that is pretty tough to get at without lifting the stove and never usually gets cleaned. .......ever move a piece of furniture or check your furnace filter or duct work? :roll:

Thanks. I know when I closed the door pellets were being pulled from the auger. I know it was pulling from the intake cause I put my hand in from of the air intake and could feel the suction.

Now I am confused I thought that you were connecting to the fresh air intake and blowing threw the stove . The reason I thought that is because I saw an avatar
with the soot going straight up .So the video has the leaf blower suction side hooked to the discharge vent .Is that right .My vent is going to go straight up threw
the ceiling so I guess this won't work for me .

u connect the intake side of the leaf blower to the outlet side of your stove. Sí ?
essentially your making a ginormous vacuum.

I have the same leaf blower. Also use duct tape, but do set the blower on something to keep the wt. off the stove pipe. Also do an inside cleaning first. What is different is that I put a portable remote control on the leaf blower so I am able to be inside with the stove when I pulse it on and off, and open an close the stove door. Found my stove blower was cleaned so well I don't take it off. Oh yes, I do watch the action from a window. That is the "fun part"! I opt to do the cleaning during a week day when my only neighbor is away at work. I don't get ash on my vinyl siding during the cleaning, but do from the day to day burning. Good excuse to run another fun toy, the power washer. Good video of the cleaning. My cleaning came after two tons and had much more of a black cloud!

no pane said:
u connect the intake side of the leaf blower to the outlet side of your stove. Sí ?

So the leaf blower is sitting on top of the stove pipe ? I think this will work for me .

Nice, you would never second guess whether you cleaned your pipe or stove enough!

Excell said:
no pane said:

So the leaf blower is sitting on top of the stove pipe ? I think this will work for me .
yep.

could you hook it up at the clean out T and force the air through the system instead of sucking the air out of the system?

Bobforsaken said:
Nice Vid... Does anyone know if you can use the leaf blower trick when venting out through the roof? (4" Pipe)
If so, how would you do that.. Would you just have to take off the cap and build a bigger adapter, or could you hook it up at the clean out T and force the air through the system instead of sucking the air out of the system?

Oh.. and when I say "System" I'm referring to the chimney system, not the leaf blower system.

Excell said:
no pane said:

Yes it is. The TORO has a vac attachment that is large enough to go over the 3" pipe. I then sealed the vac att to the ex pipe with duct tape.
Quick and simple.

Bobforsaken said:
could you hook it up at the clean out T and force the air through the system instead of sucking the air out of the system?
I don't know if that will work. Where would the air go. Out the hopper and out the OAK if you have outside air.
I think it would be easier to to seal the top of the exhuast off (duct tape) and make a connection adapter to the clean out of the TEE and still use it as a vacuum.

macman said:
Wow.....that's quite a bit of ash for just 20 days burning.....can I ask what brand pellets you were burning?
LG pellets this year

bmp

Why don't you buy some flexible plastic drain to attach to the end and stick a shop vac filter bag at the end and see if that keeps the dust down. The bags are only a few buck for 3 of them.

I'm not exactly comfortable with the idea. I have always been taught that fractional horse power motors are pretty fragile. That excessive RMPs lead to premature failure. Any engineering types out there explain the pros and cons as far as the motors go, and the switches and sensors. Next. the air seeks the path of least resistence, so how does that clean out the hard to reach corners and behind the baffles? And last, does it screw with the damper forcing that much air through the system?

Ahhh - so that's what was meant when I was told to clean my stove with a leafblower! I'm new to this, and I had visions of pulling my stove outside. Very slick - I'll give that a try, except I need to route the ash to someplace the dogs won't roll in it!

Thanks for the video!

littlesmokey said:
I'm not exactly comfortable with the idea. I have always been taught that fractional horse power motors are pretty fragile. That excessive RMPs lead to premature failure. Any engineering types out there explain the pros and cons as far as the motors go, and the switches and sensors. Next. the air seeks the path of least resistence, so how does that clean out the hard to reach corners and behind the baffles? And last, does it screw with the damper forcing that much air through the system?

I got this idea from my dealer who has been doing this type of cleaning for many years with great success. I never hear my fans spinning.... not sure if they even do spin when I clean my stove. Remember this is a vacuum pulling out the ash... not compressed air pointed at the fans...

These huge clouds of ash/soot are the worst the first time you clean your stove... subsequent REGULAR cleanings yield much less ash. I've never changed my damper setting... and it won't affect it AFAIK.

Believe me when I tell you this makes a big difference in how well your stove operates.

Stephan said:
Ahhh - so that's what was meant when I was told to clean my stove with a leafblower! I'm new to this, and I had visions of pulling my stove outside. Very slick - I'll give that a try, except I need to route the ash to someplace the dogs won't roll in it!

Thanks for the video!

It only takes like 5 minutes to do. It takes longer to get the leaf blower and the extension cord out. :cheese:

Silly question as I dont know anything abt pellet stoves but would this work for woodburning stoves too? worth a try?

what r your thoughts

Ogre said:
Silly question as I dont know anything abt pellet stoves but would this work for woodburning stoves too? worth a try?

what r your thoughts

If you can get the blower attached to the stove pipe outside, i don't see why not. Go for it, and let us know what happens.

I think I'll give it a shot... I've got a "short" chimney abt 12 feet for a wood burning insert. 6" lined. the liner is clean but i've always wanted to "blow out" the for box itself. I wonder if I can pull enuf suction to do this. I have a Stihl gas shredder vac/blower... If I get to it this weekend I'll follow up with input. thanks...

I don't really think so ,the pipe is to big . Wood stoves leave heavy deposits of creosote that probably wouldn't come to the top . Only way to find out though is to try it . If you can get a good seal at the top it should be interesting . Make sure some one is standing buy with a camera . We want to see to .

That will be a new use for the leaf blower.
Wonder if it will pull the creosote from the pipes?

Yea... Sorry to disapoint but I'm installing new chimeny liner and was realy just interested in pulling enough vaccume to clean out the ash from all the hiding placies in this old stove. I'm gonna do it right and take it back outside... ough these things are so hevy... and take all the brick out and shop vav it out. if needed I'll run the shop vac on blower to blow thru any hidden intakes... And after posting I remembered the last stove pipe I cleaned. theres not a chance it heck that a negative pressure will clean a woods burnig stove pipe.. I recon I don't know much to anything abt pellet stove other then the difference is fuel... I assume your ashes and ehhaust lines are different....

Sorry for the dissapointment. No good pics coming from here...

Status
Not open for further replies.