Vogelzang Boxwood stove...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dign

Dec 28, 2008
Virginia
I bought a new Vogelzang boxwood model BX42e wood stove. I have it in a large area and heat clearance is no problem. So far it has been working great for me. However I have been hearing a lot of negative reports on the poor constructon quality of the smaller bx26 model . Does this also apply to the larger bx42e model ? In other words, is this stove unsafely constructed and a possible future danger?

Vogelzang is just Cheap cast iron knock offs of popular stuff from the past. That said the cast is pretty thin on the stuff I have seen offered by them. I do know a couple of people who have or are heating with a different model stove by them the potbelly they offer. I would have to say that they will not last as long a quality cast iron stove but they do not have anywhere near the price tag either.

The major problem I have seen over the years with these stoves owned by people I know is a tendency for the furnace cement sealer in the joints to get brittle and fall out in a relatively short time. This creates even more air leaks in a already leaky stove and makes it even harder to control. That coupled with the questionable quality of the castings makes it a heater to be watched closely.

Another problem is that folks that only pay a hundred bucks or so for a stove have a strong tendency to not invest much in a safe chimney setup and this just compounds the safety issue. I have yet to see a two hundred dollar box stove with a $1,500 Class A chimney setup.

goes back to the age old saying : good things are seldom cheap ..and cheap things are seldom good

What about Vogelzang's plate steel stoves? Are they poor quality too?
On their site it says they're 3/16" thick.
Just curious...

Status
Not open for further replies.