Vogelzang The Colonial

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Corriewf said:
Yeah the 5.5 kit I bought had an adapter to go to the 6 for the stove. It was a real pita to get down the chimney because there was a bunch of grout in between the terracotta. I only insulated the top 2 feet and bottom. So far no problems. Did you take the fan off and use some washers as spacers? There is a design flaw with the fan and it puts out a lot more air if it is taken off and spaced about a quarter inch from the stove.

My chimney had the 13 x 18 clay liners so I had plenty of room to slide the insulated liner down the chimney, my only hang up was the unovalized part get hung up at the smoke shelf. I check the screws on the primary lever and they were tight but I found a few screw that hold in the gasket ang glass that were just a little loose. I have not attched the fan yet but I do have it pulled away a little bit and also figured out that it works better with the control knob on the right side instead of the left side like the way the show it in the pictures. If you install it the way they show it the air flow is blocked by the stove. If you install it with the knob on the right the airflow is not blocked but I do think leaving the gap does let in even more air.

So I got the replacement handle for the door. It's a spiral one, same as for the air lever. The only problem is they sent a gold one. I emailed Katie at Vogelzang and she's sending out a silver one. I also mentioned that the blower is intermittently making very loud grinding/squeaking noises and I'm getting a new blower sent too. It's hard to fault their customer service. It's obvious that the Colonial is made as cheaply as possible and stuff is going to go wrong, I'm glad they're willing to stand behind their product though.

Rougement said:
So I got the replacement handle for the door. It's a spiral one, same as for the air lever. The only problem is they sent a gold one. I emailed Katie at Vogelzang and she's sending out a silver one. I also mentioned that the blower is intermittently making very loud grinding/squeaking noises and I'm getting a new blower sent too. It's hard to fault their customer service. It's obvious that the Colonial is made as cheaply as possible and stuff is going to go wrong, I'm glad they're willing to stand behind their product though.

WOW! Great customer service. How do you think the handle will be? I get burned a little sometimes with the spiral for air control. Did you ask them about the poor design of the fan?

Corriewf said:
Rougement said:

WOW! Great customer service. How do you think the handle will be? I get burned a little sometimes with the spiral for air control. Did you ask them about the poor design of the fan?

I think the handle will be fine, it's away from the heat when closed. I didn't mention the fan. I think maybe they had their reasons like making sure the blower doesn't cool the firebox too much. We know EPA stoves don't do well run cold, no secondaries, etc.

Rougement said:
Corriewf said:
Rougement said:

I think the handle will be fine, it's away from the heat when closed. I didn't mention the fan. I think maybe they had their reasons like making sure the blower doesn't cool the firebox too much. We know EPA stoves don't do well run cold, no secondaries, etc.

You have your fan attached?

So the new blower arrived and also a silver spiral handle. The blower is a different design, looks like Vogelzang recognize there is a problem with the old version. This one has vents in the top (or bottom, depending on how you install it. This thing kicks out WAY more air, even when bolted flush against the insert. It's a tad quieter too and the noise it does make is more even and less irritating.

Once more though (this is the story of The Colonial) there's a downside. The top with the new vents in it is obviously weaker and has been pushed in. That, or it's designed that way. Also on any speed less than full it makes a grinding/vibrating noise which slowly dies down. Still, it just arrived and isn't even up to room temp. I'll give it a day or so and see what happens.

Rougement said:
So the new blower arrived and also a silver spiral handle. The blower is a different design, looks like Vogelzang recognize there is a problem with the old version. This one has vents in the top (or bottom, depending on how you install it. This thing kicks out WAY more air, even when bolted flush against the insert. It's a tad quieter too and the noise it does make is more even and less irritating.

Once more though (this is the story of The Colonial) there's a downside. The top with the new vents in it is obviously weaker and has been pushed in. That, or it's designed that way. Also on any speed less than full it makes a grinding/vibrating noise which slowly dies down. Still, it just arrived and isn't even up to room temp. I'll give it a day or so and see what happens.

Thank you thank you thank you for the information. Did you tell them the current blower isn't working well and that's how you got the replacement? I plan to call them tomorrow. :)

The original blower was making an intermittent grinding noise. It would start happening all on it's own and was very loud. I've been dealing with Katie Janson at Vogelzang, she's been very helpful.

Just some pics of the vogelzang burning on and one of the little bub holdin it down while John takes a peak up the chimney, little turd

Attachments

• 100_1620.jpg
    100_1620.jpg
    9.6 KB · Views: 475
  • 100_1619.jpg
    100_1619.jpg
    12.8 KB · Views: 474
  • 100_1606.jpg
    100_1606.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 483
CodyWayne718 said:
Just some pics of the vogelzang burning on and one of the little bub holdin it down while John takes a peak up the chimney, little turd

Man that pic of your baby is classic. I would frame that pic. Looks like he is helping you there.

Is the pic of the flames towards the end of your burn cycle or fresh reload? Looks like the secondaries are trying to get started there. If this is not long after a reload you can try adjusting the air to about 1/4 an inch open or you can cheat and open the door for about 30 second and then close the door with the air closed down all the way. I get some nice jets with my cheat method. I learned that from having to reposition some wood that had fallen on the glass when I was getting lazy secondaries.

man i cant remember if those were at the end or what, but im wantin to say they were right after i shut the air off, the pics look a little weaker than what was really goin on lol i bought wood from a gas station cause someone on here thought my wood i couldnt get to burn might have been too wet still, i still ended up with dirty glass around the outside of the window, this thing has been kickin my butt, tryin to wait to burn anymore til i get a thermo,,,,

CodyWayne718 said:
man i cant remember if those were at the end or what, but im wantin to say they were right after i shut the air off, the pics look a little weaker than what was really goin on lol i bought wood from a gas station cause someone on here thought my wood i couldnt get to burn might have been too wet still, i still ended up with dirty glass around the outside of the window, this thing has been kickin my butt, tryin to wait to burn anymore til i get a thermo,,,,

You can have mine if you pay for shipping. :) I just bought it back in late Nov. I am getting an I/R gun to check temps. The therm is a nice estimate at temp and not bad for 15 bucks but I want to dial in now that I have learned the stove more.

Cody, you notice a difference between the gas station wood? It really takes time to learn a stove tbh. Next year we both will be much better burners. In the meantime I am waiting on my new blower and keeping it nice and 70 in here! My inlaws keep their house at 74 and it feels cold, can't beat the wood heat at 70!

Corriewf said:
CodyWayne718 said:

You can have mine if you pay for shipping. :) I just bought it back in late Nov. I am getting an I/R gun to check temps. The therm is a nice estimate at temp and not bad for 15 bucks but I want to dial in now that I have learned the stove more.

Cody, you notice a difference between the gas station wood? It really takes time to learn a stove tbh. Next year we both will be much better burners. In the meantime I am waiting on my new blower and keeping it nice and 70 in here! My inlaws keep their house at 74 and it feels cold, can't beat the wood heat at 70!

2 hours late on the thermo, jus ordered one off amazon :(

CodyWayne718 said:
Corriewf said:
CodyWayne718 said:

What did you end up getting?

Corriewf said:
CodyWayne718 said:
Corriewf said:
CodyWayne718 said:

What did you end up getting?

Went with a Condar Inferno since I couldnt find nothing but bad things about the Rutlands for some reason http://www.amazon.com/thermometer-t...1?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1264581507&sr=8-1 now that i look at the inferno and the medallion i wish i had went with the medallion, lessons learned.

*** Updates Updates Updates ***

Got the new blower in and was surprised to also receive the spring handle that the representative at Vogelzang said was not available. They had offered me a new wooden handle and I said no thanks.. So here are the pics of the new spring handle as well as pics of the new blower. As you can tell it has been redesigned a tad with a grill added to the top. It now blows quite a bit much more and it more quiet.

Here is a video comparing the sound from the new blower versus the old blower. Quite a difference and I can tell you the Iphone doesn't do the sound justice.

Attachments

• newhandle.jpg
    newhandle.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 632
  • newhandle2.jpg
    newhandle2.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 666
  • newblower.jpg
    newblower.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 641
  • newblower2.jpg
    newblower2.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 626
That handle looks ten times better on there, I want one! How much did they charge ya for the handle? I assume we all got the same 800 number to call and get ahold of this nice girl about the blowers too?

CodyWayne718 said:
That handle looks ten times better on there, I want one! How much did they charge ya for the handle? I assume we all got the same 800 number to call and get ahold of this nice girl about the blowers too?

No charge on the handle. My wooden handle was turning brown. But with that said the rep said the silver handle was not available and that it was replaced by the wooden handle because it got too hot. She said she could replace the wooden handle with a wooden handle. I did not expect to receive this handle with the new blower at all. The number I called was on the manual.

Corriewf said:

Got the new blower in and was surprised to also receive the spring handle that the representative at Vogelzang said was not available. They had offered me a new wooden handle and I said no thanks.. So here are the pics of the new spring handle as well as pics of the new blower. As you can tell it has been redesigned a tad with a grill added to the top. It now blows quite a bit much more and it more quiet.

Was the original fan going out on you or did you just want the redesigned one? Do you have to send the original one back in before or after you get the new one?

sbowers22 said:
Corriewf said:

Was the original fan going out on you or did you just want the redesigned one? Do you have to send the original one back in before or after you get the new one?

The fan was making noise and was not putting out enough heat. I had to send it back after I recieved the first one.

Can any of you with this stove tell me what kind of temps you are getting? For me this stove wants to run 450 most of the time with 500 being the top. So what do you guys get?

i've hit 550 with the super dry wood from the gas stations, but after its nothing but coals she wanted to drop down to about 350 or 400. Think we have had this convo before but not sure lol

CodyWayne718 said:
i've hit 550 with the super dry wood from the gas stations, but after its nothing but coals she wanted to drop down to about 350 or 400. Think we have had this convo before but not sure lol

Thats pretty damn good. I get 500 but 550 I have never touched... :( What are you doing when you hit 550?

Everything I have done has been because I asked you what you were doin lol must have jus been because the wood I was burning

CodyWayne718 said:
Everything I have done has been because I asked you what you were doin lol must have jus been because the wood I was burning

Well, I look forward to next year when I will be burning wood I cut and split. I will know it is good. Well I know the wood this year is good, BUT the pieces are sometimes too long. I have to burn quite a few at an angle which really effects my ability to really fully load her.

Hi All! new here- first post.
Picked up the Colonial at the local Northern Tool here on sale for $750.
Waiting on my liner kit to arrive so I can get right to using it.
I noticed the flue collar protrudes through the outer box that air is forced through by the fan.
But-
there is a gap around it so it appears some air would blow out of there, wasting heat and going into the dead ended fireplace opening....

Anyone else see this? Did you do anything about it?

I could weld that gap up, but figure a ring of plate steel with the proper size hole in it would cover that, or maybe seal it with a furnace cement. I fear if I weld it up I could cause some stress as the inner box will expand differently than the much cooler outer box.
I fear some air pressure in the supposedly "sealed" fireplace cavity would tend to force that old smoky smell out somewhere, maybe into the house.

Been out of the wood burning for 25+ years, had an insert in a small house way back that worked great. Had an insert in the current house (been in it 26 years) that worked very poorly, a Matherly. Haven't used it in years, its now out back on a pallet awaiting me to post it on Crag's List for cheap.
I have 10 acres in NC covered in hardwoods that blow down occasionally, figured why let them rot, gonna start hauling the wood from visits. I've got an oak down now that must have 10 pickup loads in it

Status
Not open for further replies.