Wall material behind wood stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Burgeogull

Oct 21, 2018
Burgeo Newfoundland
I'm in the process of installing my first wood stove. It’s a used one, when I bought it I also got the material that was on the floor and on the wall with it. It was installed very close to the wall. Attached is a pic of the material, it’s over an inch thick. What kind of material is it? How close can my stove be to it?

Attachments

• D69818C7-4602-40F3-827D-FF4998425AD5.jpeg
    D69818C7-4602-40F3-827D-FF4998425AD5.jpeg
    150.4 KB · Views: 261
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 313
I see little styrofoam balls in that board. Wonderlite?

I'm in the process of installing my first wood stove. It’s a used one, when I bought it I also got the material that was on the floor and on the wall with it. It was installed very close to the wall. Attached is a pic of the material, it’s over an inch thick. What kind of material is it? How close can my stove be to it?
What stove is it? Does it have a ul tag on the back? If so that will give you the required clearances.

D0D5B935-5F3C-4482-8590-E67BB23A7CE0.jpeg

It’s an Elmira Stove Works model 1100. I assume “B” is back wall and would be 13 inches. I was wondering if this material would allow it to be a little closer. I have it installed with about a 1 inch spacing between it and the wall.

View attachment 232298

It’s an Elmira Stove Works model 1100. I assume “B” is back wall and would be 13 inches. I was wondering if this material would allow it to be a little closer. I have it installed with about a 1 inch spacing between it and the wall.
You can only reduce clearances if the manufacturer allows you to. Do you have the manual?

ABFE3F05-7039-4701-A633-2B1BD6442F2D.jpeg
It’s says here that the clearance are for combustible walls so I assume I can go much closer by using this stuff. It seems like good stuff.

Last edited by a moderator:
What is the material? Is there any labeling on it that identifies the product?

Even with a clearance reduction you can't go closer than 12" unless the mfg. has tested for closer and specced this.

0AA39448-5FA7-4C6E-A2C3-718BF1122C60.jpeg
I don’t know what it is that was the first question I asked here. Not tags or anything on it. I was wondering if anyone knew what it was and anything about it. It’s not new, I’m guessing 20 years old maybe. I don’t know how old the stove is either. They would be the same age.

View attachment 232300
I don’t know what it is that was the first question I asked here. Not tags or anything on it. I was wondering if anyone knew what it was and anything about it. It’s not new, I’m guessing 20 years old maybe. I don’t know how old the stove is either. They would be the same age.
I can tell you whatever the board is it is not big enough for under the stove

I haven't seen that product before. It is not wide enough as shown in the picture for floor protection. Does it extend 18" in front of the stove door?
Screen Shot 2018-11-02 at 2.07.48 PM.png

Don't know the name that it had from 20 years ago but it was a cement board with Styrofoam in it to make it lighter fine for bath walls and other palces of same nature but not under or behind a stove. The current versions, of which there are several , some are listed as for use in fireproof shielding applications.

Reactions: Burgeogull
It was used for previous installation for this stove screwed directly to drywall. The stove was about three inches from it. It had been there for quite a while.
That doesnt mean it was safe. How close was the pipe above that sheild? How far was the stove from the wall beside that sheild?

Improper installation as shield, it needs to have a 1" gap between it and the wall open on top and bottom for air flow- National code. The original stuff with Styrofoam beads was specifically stated as to not be used for that purpose. hence the change up a few years afer it was marketed. still even with the heat shield most stoves are rated no closer than apx 13" measured from the outside of the flue pipe IIRC.

Guys this is clearly a stove board of some sort. The stuff in there is perlite not styrofoam. The problem is without a label we have no clue what exactly it is and what protection it offers. Regardless they are to narrow to be an effective hearth pad or heat sheild for that stove.

Reactions: Burgeogull
View attachment 232310

Previous installation here. The pipe went up through the ceiling.

Hey guys, this is also my first post here, and I'm definitely not an expert, but I had an observation to share.

Was that stove previously installed in a basement with a concrete wall behind it? That might explain why they felt safe installing it so close...

P.S. From the pictures it looks like you did a great job restoring it's original luster!