wall protection gap

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know if i'm just a worry wart or if this is something too worry about. I didn't notice this until the other week. There is a half an inch gap at the top where the two panels come together but is plenty tight most of the way up. I tried to move it but I think they glued it to the wall. Hopefully I attached the photos right.

n3prowall1.jpg/img]
[img]n3prowall2.jpg

Attachments

• n3prowall2.jpg
    n3prowall2.jpg
    20 KB · Views: 368
  • n3prowall1.jpg
    n3prowall1.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 343
??? Are these hearth pads being used on the wall? What's the stove and what's the distance from the back corner of the stove to the adjacent side panel?

Knowing nothing more than what I see in those pics, I'd say the heat shields are not correctly installed. There should be a ventilated airspace between the shields and the walls. I wouldn't worry too much about the corner where the two shields don't quite meet...I'd worry about how those shields were put toghether and why there aren't spacers incorporated to provide an air gap behind them. Tell us more about the stove and the installation. Rick

I think BG might have pegged it...those look like pre-fab hearth pads, meant for floor protection, upended and stuck to the walls. That ain't workin' for ya. Rick

The stove is an Napoleon 1100C, single wall 6 inch flue pipe to double wall metal chimney, corner intall. The corner of the stove to the wall protection is 8 inches an the back of the stove to the corner is 21 inches. The wall protection is 48 inches square. Both the wall and the floor panels looks to be 1 1/4 inch thick and are prefab. There is a small gap between the board and drywall about 1/8 inch. It was bought and installed by Old Fashion Heat http://www.oldfashionheat.com/.

If that's a professional installation and you know the history and the source, then it's probably fine. I'm not accostomed to seeing such a tiny gap for the ventilated airspace, 1" is typical. I'd say if you have any question about it, go straight to the folks who did it and have them put your mind at ease. Rick

from what I can tell, the 1100C only requires 6" from the stove corner to combustible wall without protection. If you have 8" to the pad on the wall you should have no problem. Look into your owners manual to make sure of that tho

Wow, nice to see somebody else that bought those wall panels (they are built the same as a hearth pad but you can put them on the wall). I've considered ordering them for my corner install as well. I wish I could order them directly from the manufacturer (they are made just 20 miles south of me) but I have to buy them from a dealer. I plan on installing them myself if I buy them, I will also either have to have them cut out a spot for the electrical outlet and outside air entrance or rely on doing it myself without breaking the tile.

Be sure and read what fossil said earlier, those wall boards are not adequate if you are using them for reducing the clearance of an appliance, they will be merely cosmetic. There is a specific way to install wall protection, one of us can help you with that if thats what you need before you spend any money on something that does not do what you expect

Also check into the distance from your single wall pipe to the unprotected portion of your wall. I see you listed the distances for your stove but the pipe needs to be at least 18 inches from all angles to your unprotected wall I think??? I just wanted to add that as a "pro" installer almost beat me on that...

It looks like you're covered ok. Probably someone wanted to an extra safety measure or to have a hearth matching tile wall. From the looks of things, the install should be fine.

FIREFIGHTER29 said:
Also check into the distance from your single wall pipe to the unprotected portion of your wall. I see you listed the distances for your stove but the pipe needs to be at least 18 inches from all angles to your unprotected wall I think??? I just wanted to add that as a "pro" installer almost beat me on that...

19 1/4

Status
Not open for further replies.