want a hearthstone which one

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
RenovationGeorge said:
gyrfalcon said:
What's this about Hearthstones burning fast and hot? I've somehow missed that and find it a bit hard to believe, given the behavior of my Tribute, admittedly the runt of the litter so maybe behaves differently just from its size. It's been my impression that the Hearthstones, like other non-cat stoves, certainly can't do the long low burns of a good cat stove, but I've never read here that they're any worse at that than others. I don't suppose you could point me to any threads here on that subject off the top of your head? I'm really curious now.

As I said, they can burn hot and fast, and sometimes need a flue damper. The guy is concerned about being too hot, so I was addressing that:

https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewreply/763623/

https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewreply/763563/

And I've seen it in other threads--search around if you like. It's not so much an characteristic of Hearthstone's in particular, but non-cat EPA stoves in general. Ironically, they need a good draft to pull air through the secondaries, but because EPA compliance means their primary air cannot be completely shut off, they can be hard to turn down enough on a flue with a strong draft. That's not a criticism, but an attempt to be helpful.

Easy folks. :)

I have a flue damper on the Heritage and the Vigilant. Both come in handy.

And for clarification, when you are talking "fast" you mean shorter burn times and not time it takes to get to a certain temp, correct?

BrowningBAR said:
And for clarification, when you are talking "fast" you mean shorter burn times and not time it takes to get to a certain temp, correct?

Absolutely. I'm talking about burn rate and time, not the slow/heating-cooling characteristic of soapstone, which is lovely.

Lynch, I had a Hearthstone Homestead for 2 seasons. I really liked it except that it was tough to get the over night burn. I achieved it with white oak or hickory, but otherwise, looking at 6-7 hour before reload. My house has twice the square footage of yours and the stove was right on the edge of acceptable for the size of my house. I think Hearthstone sq ft are rated for optimal insulation and floor plan conditions. Realistically it is probably better suited for 75% of what they advertise.

I would trust what the others say about the heritage. One great thing about the Hearthstone stoves is the awesome fire show when the secondary burn tube lights off and spills fire across the front of the glass. I miss that.

Last year I got a Woodstock Fireview because I wanted the longer burn times and the benefit of the customer service. I made a good decision.

Good luck.

BrowningBAR said:
Todd said:
gyrfalcon said:
[I would get a Woodstock in a heartbeat if they'd make one with a top flue. As it is, they take up much more room with that pipe sticking out the back if you abide by the clearances, room that my long narrow front room simply doesn't have.

The Woodstock Keystone and Palladian can be vented either from the top or rear and they also only need 8" clearance in front since it's a side loader where the Hearthstones require 16".

The rear clearances do not compare to the hearthstone, though. Huge difference. Rear clearances with heat shield is 7" on the Heritage. 18" for the Fireview. A hearth pad sticking out 9" further is a big difference from a stove sticking out 11" further.

He only has 700 sq ft to heat so he could easily do that with a smaller Woodstock. The rear clearance for them is 14.5 and the front clearance is only 8". The hearth pad size requirement would be the same as the Hearthstone. The stove would just sit about 7" further out on the hearth. If the wall was noncombustible he could scoot it even further back and have a smaller hearth.

well something i was just thinking to help with the small SQF i have would be for me to turn on the fan on my forced hot air furnace to move some warm air to the basement.
which is 2/3 finshed with full bath. and closeing the vent in the living room where the stove would be sence in would not need the heat where the stove is.

so if you think this would help with the small SQF consider it closer to 1000 sqf with the basement than 700. plus i have a desent sized mud room off the front of the house that i could heat aswell. so add maybe 75 sqft to 1st floor.

just something i have been thinking.

one other thing is
im really looking into the jotul 118 black bear which is rated for well over what i need and will do a 8 hour burn from what i have been told and would take up less space .

i could place it parellel to the wall which would leave me alot more room and still takes really long splits.

and much cheaper than the stoners

Lynch said:
one other thing is
im really looking into the jotul 118 black bear which is rated for well over what i need and will do a 8 hour burn from what i have been told and would take up less space .

i could place it parellel to the wall which would leave me alot more room and still takes really long splits.

and much cheaper than the stoners

Be careful about putting to much faith in these published long 8+ hour burn times. There are burn times that give you enough coals to re-kindle the fire without a match - like an overnight burn and then there is useful heat output time. The two are VERY different.

Your application, square footage, to me, scream for a Woodstock Keystone or Palladian.

Good luck,
Bill

i just want something that i can load up befor going to bed and wake up and have some coals to through a few small splits in and get another burn going.

I think a home stead will work good for you.
Ive installed them in family rooms 400/500 sq feet and with a fan it doesn't cook you out of the room .
The stone doesn't get blazing hot like steal and wont scorch the air like steal .Its hard to get a over night burn with meaning full heat in the am .
My equinox stays warm for 24 hrs but in 6/7 hours its down to 300o.
The stove keeps coals for 12 or 13 hours .
The heritage will need to be burned full cycle with 4/5 splits three times a day.
Lite the stove, burn it with 4/5 splits air 1/3 open. refill every 8 hrs .
The fire will be down to small coals but the stove should be 250o +-.
John

Lynch said:
i just want something that i can load up befor going to bed and wake up and have some coals to through a few small splits in and get another burn going.

This is a problem that you can't solve with a non-cat stove. Your house is too small. In order for a non-cat stove to burn overnight it must be large since the modern non-cat stove must be run on a medium low setting to pass pollution standards. So the smallest non-cat stove that can burn overnight will be too big for your home.

In the olden days you could just smolder a smaller stove and it wouldn't heat you out and would burn overnight but that day is gone, unless, you opt for a cat stove.

I really do like my heritage. It works just as advertised and burns overnight. 8 hours tops and then just barely enough coals to relight with kindling. I heat 1700 with it.

More important than almost any other feature of a stove is burn time. This is why cat stoves are superior. They just burn longer. Unfortunately, nobody makes a very attractive cat stove.

You said Hearthstone and overnight so you require nothing smaller than a heritage. Great stove. In listening to you I think you really want a small cat stove and the keystone is the ideal one. They aren't as unique looking as the fireview and with some trickery you can get it kinda close to the wall.

i understand what you guys are saying
but dont really want to spend that kind of money

what about the Jotul 118 BB that really seems like it would work for me no?

So how long do you sleep? What kind of wood do you burn? I have a Homestead and am very happy with it. I can Load it with hard wood at 1030 pm and have it dialed back by 11 pm. Sleep all night. Wake up at 6 am to a stove 250 to 300 degrees with plenty of coals to just throw a couple of splits in and watch it take off as I eat some breakfast. Then I shut the primary air and leave for work. This morning it was 17 outside, 74 in living room, and 70 in my bedroom. Now when it is down around zero I have to feed in the middle of the night or my furnace will kick on between 5 and 6. It is set at 68. I am heating 1500 sq feet ranch with cathedral ceilings and a short stack (16 feet)

Good Luck
Dan

generally sleep 7-8 hours. i can get oak if i request it , maple is super easy to get , white birch is every where up here, along with pine and poplar.
and im only going to be heating 700 sqft upstairs and about 300-400 sqft down stairs with the use of central air fan.
so a total of around 1000sqft or more.

Don't count on you furnace fan to circulate heat down into your basement. Most people find it doesn't work because the warm air cools too much while moving through the ducts.

I like the looks of that Jotul 118 and it takes a nice long split, but have heard a few complaints on here about some warpped baffles and tubes. Lots of different choices out there to look at. Take a look at the stove ratings section on this site to get some real world experiences with different brand stoves.

Todd said:
gyrfalcon said:
[I would get a Woodstock in a heartbeat if they'd make one with a top flue. As it is, they take up much more room with that pipe sticking out the back if you abide by the clearances, room that my long narrow front room simply doesn't have.

The Woodstock Keystone and Palladian can be vented either from the top or rear and they also only need 8" clearance in front since it's a side loader where the Hearthstones require 16".

True, but they're a 7-inch flue and still a 15-inch back clearance even with heat shield.

Lynch said:

Lynch, what's the real bottom line here? Do you want to wake up to a reasonably warm stove room, or is it just a question of the hassle of starting up the fire?

If you want a nice warm room, forget it unless you have a really big stove.

If it's just a matter of getting a fire started, there's close to zero hassle in doing that if you have good firestarters like Supercedars and a bunch of small dry splits at hand. Loosely pile a three or four small splits in the stove, tuck a half a Supercedar under them, light it, close the door, go brush your teeth and turn on the coffee and come back to a nice little fire you can start to add more stuff and bigger splits to. Takes maybe 2 minutes max extra time compared to what it takes to start from a small amount of coals and a couple splits.

Nice dry wood split small is the key here. You can burn less than perfectly seasoned wood once you get a good hot fire going, but you have to start with good dry stuff for a good new fire whether you start it only from coals or with the help of a firestarter.

gyrfalcon said:
Todd said:
gyrfalcon said:

True, but they're a 7-inch flue and still a 15-inch back clearance even with heat shield.

They are also approved to vent a 6" and sell the adapter for it. You can also reduce the rear clearance to 12" if you put up a non flamable wall surface. This along with the short front clearance makes up for the total hearth size. The stove would just sit out 5" more from the wall than a Hearthstone but the hearth size could be the same or a little less.

gyrfalcon said:
Lynch said:

Lynch, what's the real bottom line here? Do you want to wake up to a reasonably warm stove room, or is it just a question of the hassle of starting up the fire?

If it's just a matter of getting a fire started, there's close to zero hassle in doing that if you have good firestarters like Supercedars and a bunch of small dry splits at hand. Loosely pile a three or four small splits in the stove, tuck a half a Supercedar under them, light it, close the door, go brush your teeth and turn on the coffee and come back to a nice little fire you can start to add more stuff and bigger splits to. Takes maybe 2 minutes max extra time compared to what it takes to start from a small amount of coals and a couple splits.

Nice dry wood split small is the key here. You can burn less than perfectly seasoned wood once you get a good hot fire going, but you have to start with good dry stuff for a good new fire whether you start it only from coals or with the help of a firestarter.

well you know when you put it that way, it doesnt sound that bad to have to start a fire lol
you should be a sales man. and i allways have the furnace as a back up that i would keep set at 55-60 so it wouldnt get to cold if i was away for to long.
but the more i can burn wood and not the oil the better!!!
i have found a 118 3 years old , he will include his hearth pad for 900 bucks. im really considering that right now. i havent seen pics of it yet so not sure yet.

Todd said:
gyrfalcon said:
Todd said:
gyrfalcon said:

They are also approved to vent a 6" and sell the adapter for it. You can also reduce the rear clearance to 12" if you put up a non flamable wall surface. This along with the short front clearance makes up for the total hearth size. The stove would just sit out 5" more from the wall than a Hearthstone but the hearth size could be the same or a little less.

Ah! Thanks for the good news on the flue size. I did not know that. I'm amazed they don't mention that prominently in the specs for the stoves.

Non-flammable wall surface is a good deal more problematic since the stove is just next to a window and the smaller Tribute overlaps it by a couple of inches. (No way to move the stove, unfortunately. It's all quite a close fit as it is.) Any thoughts on what material could be sort of wrapped around the (very shallow) sill? The window has no decorative inner frame along the sides and is set 8 or 10 inches into the foot-thick wall-- almost deep enough to use as a window seat.

Lynch said:
gyrfalcon said:
Lynch said:

well you know when you put it that way, it doesnt sound that bad to have to start a fire lol
you should be a sales man. and i allways have the furnace as a back up that i would keep set at 55-60 so it wouldnt get to cold if i was away for to long.
but the more i can burn wood and not the oil the better!!!
i have found a 118 3 years old , he will include his hearth pad for 900 bucks. im really considering that right now. i havent seen pics of it yet so not sure yet.

Easy as pie to sell something you know. :)

Starting a fire in a stove really isn't a major fuss job-- if your draft is good and your wood is dry. It can certainly take a while to figure out what works and what doesn't if you're a new burner, and that process of learning can be frustrating. But we're here to help you through it. In any case, as far as hassle goes, only minimally more starting from scratch if you've got the right stuff on hand.

I have my boiler set to come on when the temperature drops to 50, which I've found is the coldest I can stand in the AM, or when I've been away during the day. I hate the sound of that thing starting up because it sounds like dollar bills burning to my ear. But extra clothes help a lot, as does a small space heater in the bathroom to turn on when you first get up.

One disadvantage to soapstone is that it does take a good bit longer to start putting out real heat, but the opposite side of that is that it stays warmer a lot longer. With cast or steel, you get immediate heat, but also a sharper drop-off at the bottom of the burn cycle. The soapstone evens all that out, but it is a trade-off.

gyrfalcon said:
Todd said:
gyrfalcon said:
Todd said:
gyrfalcon said:

Ah! Thanks for the good news on the flue size. I did not know that. I'm amazed they don't mention that prominently in the specs for the stoves.

Non-flammable wall surface is a good deal more problematic since the stove is just next to a window and the smaller Tribute overlaps it by a couple of inches. (No way to move the stove, unfortunately. It's all quite a close fit as it is.) Any thoughts on what material could be sort of wrapped around the (very shallow) sill? The window has no decorative inner frame along the sides and is set 8 or 10 inches into the foot-thick wall-- almost deep enough to use as a window seat.

wish the moderators would take care of this
seems like we have two threads going at once one that pertains to my 1st question and branch's off and other posts that just dont really go along with the main subject.
maybe thats why we have more than 50 posts

Lynch said:
seems like we have two threads going at once one that pertains to my 1st question and branch's off and other posts that just dont really go along with the main subject.

My goodness. Is skiiming some posts you're not interested in wearing you out? Do you feel like I and others haven't given you enough advice on your question?

Lynch said:

I can condense it down really easily.

-Keystone will give you the burn times you are looking for with the heating capacity that will easily meet your needs.

-The Heritage will work for you. It will give you the burn times you are looking for with a bit smaller of a foot print than the keystone, but it will be a bit over-sized for your area (might have to open a window on occasions) and it costs more than the Keystone.

Status
Not open for further replies.