want a hearthstone which one

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
ruth140 said:
remember the craftsbury is a cast iron stove not soapstone.
if you are going to switch to cast iron Jotul is the way to go. they have a model for every size.
excellent quality , history all around great stoves.

The Craftsbury is cast iron on the outside but also has soapstone blocks on the inside.

gyrfalcon said:
Todd said:
gyrfalcon said:
Todd said:
gyrfalcon said:
[I would get a Woodstock in a heartbeat if they'd make one with a top flue. As it is, they take up much more room with that pipe sticking out the back if you abide by the clearances, room that my long narrow front room simply doesn't have.

The Woodstock Keystone and Palladian can be vented either from the top or rear and they also only need 8" clearance in front since it's a side loader where the Hearthstones require 16".

True, but they're a 7-inch flue and still a 15-inch back clearance even with heat shield.

They are also approved to vent a 6" and sell the adapter for it. You can also reduce the rear clearance to 12" if you put up a non flamable wall surface. This along with the short front clearance makes up for the total hearth size. The stove would just sit out 5" more from the wall than a Hearthstone but the hearth size could be the same or a little less.

Ah! Thanks for the good news on the flue size. I did not know that. I'm amazed they don't mention that prominently in the specs for the stoves.

Non-flammable wall surface is a good deal more problematic since the stove is just next to a window and the smaller Tribute overlaps it by a couple of inches. (No way to move the stove, unfortunately. It's all quite a close fit as it is.) Any thoughts on what material could be sort of wrapped around the (very shallow) sill? The window has no decorative inner frame along the sides and is set 8 or 10 inches into the foot-thick wall-- almost deep enough to use as a window seat.

Can you get rid of the window and rebuild the wall?

Todd said:
gyrfalcon said:
Non-flammable wall surface is a good deal more problematic since the stove is just next to a window and the smaller Tribute overlaps it by a couple of inches. (No way to move the stove, unfortunately. It's all quite a close fit as it is.) Any thoughts on what material could be sort of wrapped around the (very shallow) sill? The window has no decorative inner frame along the sides and is set 8 or 10 inches into the foot-thick wall-- almost deep enough to use as a window seat.

Can you get rid of the window and rebuild the wall?

Heh. Good thought, but not something I could do without winning the lottery first. Also, it's the southern-most of three east-facing windows in my front room and getting rid of it would totally ruin the look of the room and the 150-yo farmhouse.

Bigg_Redd said:
Lynch said:

Are you sure? Half the threads on this board are guys who can't make their soapstone stoves heat their house(s).

Just sayin' . . . .

And the other half is PE owners with cracked welds and warped baffles.

Bigg_Redd said:
Lynch said:

Are you sure? Half the threads on this board are guys who can't make their soapstone stoves heat their house(s).

Just sayin' . . . .

Uh, maybe because they, A, didn't come here first, and B, tried to economize and bought too small a stove?

Just sayin'.

Bigg_Redd said:
Lynch said:

Just sayin' . . . .

And the other half are from folks who can't make their metal stoves heat their house. %-P

Heck, one current thread is about a guy's video complaining he can't get his big *Englander* hot.

(Ah heck, Todd beat me to it. )

But thanks for playing.

Currently my Heritage is at 600 with the flue damper closed, the air shut down all the way, with plenty of secondaries. Easiest stove to operate of the three.

Status
Not open for further replies.