Want to get a Fisher

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

FisherStove

Apr 19, 2022
Idaho
I'm seeing all kinds of Fishers. Different sizes and prices. Guessing all are authentic?. Not sure which best to get. One hasn't been used in 25 yrs. Thinking of that one.
Screenshot_20220419-151411_Facebook.jpgScreenshot_20220419-151134_Facebook.jpgScreenshot_20220419-150957_Facebook.jpgScreenshot_20220419-151043_Facebook.jpgScreenshot_20220419-151322_Facebook.jpgScreenshot_20220419-151340_Facebook.jpg

I like the looks of the 6 tree ones

Are they all knid of newer with those springy handles?

My mom says ours in the 1970's had those springy handles

You size the stove for the area being heated, and to match the chimney if it is existing.

Single door stoves are more efficient. They use a 6 inch vent. Double doors were made for fire viewing. They are the Fireplace Series. Single door is the Bear Series.

Next is venting direction. Top, rear or side for your type installation.

How important is fire viewing? They are not considered a radiant heater in Fireplace Mode.

Your state has adopted the International Family of Codes. The Mechanical Code contains solid fuel appliances and venting. For a legal installation you will need a UL Listed stove. These will not have the angle iron legs at corners, they have shields and a UL Label.

If you are installing a prefab chimney , stay with 6 inch flue, due to price and higher efficiency.

Handles started with chrome ball. After the first 2 years they started a tightly wound stainless steel spring. By 1977 a course wound nickel plated steel spring was used. 1980 started nickel or brass plated spring.

Start in the sticky section and read the Everything Fisher thread first. This describes all the models. Then the thread for Bear Series gives more details on those models, and finally the Fireplace Series thread gives the history and models of that Series that started in 1976.

The first pic at top with Cathedral doors is a Fisher Fireplace Insert for use in a masonry fireplace.

Next one down is a ‘77 or 78 Grandpa Bear I. Unlisted

Next is a Listed Grandma III with optional Fireplace Legs.

Last 2 are Mama Bear I’s. Unlisted. Notice the last one is a side vent, Left hand door. This is for installation across a hearth or for through the wall chimney at the sidewall.

They all have specific uses.

The last one is the highest value for collector purposes. Not because of condition, but this an early model with the shortest handle, side vent, Lefty. The only one more rare and valuable like that would be the misspelled PATENDED door with a D.

Here is the other spot., also an add-on but connected to the house through French doors. There are pictures of the fireplace inside and the chimney out. The fireplace, even with blowers provide very little heat. We thought maybe we could use the chimney for a stove. I will read those things you suggested. Thanks so much.
20220420_124321.jpg

20220420_122146.jpg

20220420_122117.jpg
20220420_122030.jpg
20220420_122001.jpg
Screenshot_20220420-121713_DuckDuckGo.jpg

Maybe the (#1) Cathedral doors insert or (#3) Mama bear III with optional fireplace legs or the (last) collector would be best for the fireplace

I'll look at these
"Start in the sticky section and read the Everything Fisher thread first. This describes all the models. Then the thread for Bear Series gives more details on those models, and finally the Fireplace Series thread gives the history and models of that Series that started in 1976."

May I ask why you are set on a Fisher stove? They were great stoves for their day but modern stoves offer many benefits in performance and efficency.

Thanks so much We! We like Fisher because it was a really cool stove when I was a kid. They last forever. I like the large cooktop. My mom loved cooking on it. I like that it will heat all night. Some of the newer stoves look like flimsy tinfoil stoves in comparison. Better not blow out the birthday candles toward the stove, you might knock it over, blow a dent into it, shatter it or put a forever lean on it . You might be able to cook those expanding, tin foil popcorn things from the 70's on them
We would like something quality, made in the USA that will heat our space. We had ceiling heat in the large add-on. We bought a minisplit last year. We ended up with a size too small for the large room. We are thinking of putting it in the smaller bedroom add-on and getting a bigger minisplit or a stove or insert.

Btw, What states can Fisher's go?
New Mexico?
Maybe we'll keep one in case there's an emergency so we can cook outdoors.

Thanks so much We! We like Fisher because it was a really cool stove when I was a kid. They last forever. I like the large cooktop. My mom loved cooking on it. I like that it will heat all night. Some of the newer stoves look like flimsy tinfoil stoves in comparison. Better not blow out the birthday candles toward the stove, you might knock it over, blow a dent into it, shatter it or put a forever lean on it . You might be able to cook those expanding, tin foil popcorn things from the 70's on them
We would like something quality, made in the USA that will heat our space. We had ceiling heat in the large add-on. We bought a minisplit last year. We ended up with a size too small for the large room. We are thinking of putting it in the smaller bedroom add-on and getting a bigger minisplit or a stove or insert.

Btw, What states can Fisher's go?
New Mexico?
Maybe we'll keep one in case there's an emergency so we can cook outdoors.
Ok if you really want a Fisher I am certainly not going to try to talk you out of it. I still have one in an out building where I need lots of BTUs in a hurry and I don't really care about efficiency. But your reasons really are not accurate. All midsized to large modern stoves will easily burn overnight. Some will even burn more than a day on a single load.

Most are built just as well as fishers and will last for decades as well.

There are many many choices for American made stoves as well.

The cook top is the only advantage fishers have just because of their size. Most modern stoves aren't nearly as large so the area available to cook would be smaller.

Not sure what you mean by what states can fishers go to.

No if it doesn't have a ul tag on it it isn't listed. Even if it was originally.
Where would you look for the UL tag?
Ok if you really want a Fisher I am certainly not going to try to talk you out of it. I still have one in an out building where I need lots of BTUs in a hurry and I don't really care about efficiency. But your reasons really are not accurate. All midsized to large modern stoves will easily burn overnight. Some will even burn more than a day on a single load.

Most are built just as well as fishers and will last for decades as well.

There are many many choices for American made stoves as well.

The cook top is the only advantage fishers have just because of their size. Most modern stoves aren't nearly as large so the area available to cook would be smaller.

Not sure what you mean by what states can fishers go to.
Well, if we can get just as good or better with other stoves, great. Smaller with equivalent heat is good, too.

Any kinds you recommend for our needs and space?

Where you you still install Fisher's?
Where do they not have codes?

Where would you look for the UL tag?

Well, if we can get just as good or better with other stoves, great. Smaller with equivalent heat is good, too.

Any kinds you recommend for our needs and space?

Where you you still install Fisher's?
Where do they not have codes?
I havnt seen what square footage you are looking to heat yet.

Fishers will give you a higher peak of BTUs but large modern stoves will give you more even heat over a much longer time. And will give you more heat out of each piece of wood. I have heated with many stoves including fishers and I can tell you there is no way I would ever consider going back to a stove like that for my main heat.

Technically any stove installed anywhere in the US needs to be ul listed. But honestly most inspectors won't care as long as it is installed properly.

There are a few states that require stoves be EPA compliant. But most don't have that requirement. Everywhere in the us has codes. But some states and municipalities have more stringent ones.

Got overzealous and put an offer on one last night and committed to buy, not expensive. Might want to sell. Wondering where a possible UL tag might be? Wondering if Wyoming or Montana or New Mexico (we have family in NM :) ) might work??

Got overzealous and put an offer on one last night and committed to buy, not expensive. Might want to sell. Wondering where a possible UL tag might be? Wondering if Wyoming or Montana or New Mexico (we have family in NM :) ) might work??
They are usually on the back of the stove. I am not sure about fishers but coaly will know

Again unlisted stoves technically can't be installed anywhere in the US. But most areas won't have an issue with it as long as you install to nfpa 211 standards for unlisted stoves . Now insurance companies are a different story many of them won't write a policy if using an unlisted stove

Hey! We picked the right one to get anyway. It's the one that you said is a Listed Grandma III. It has been in a basement unused for 25 years. Where could we find the UL tag?