Want to get a Fisher

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Uh oh. Vermont says it's for parts. Doesn't work as a whole. Are we sure these newer guys are better? Maybe more efficient while you can use them but break down and are just good for parts? I don't get it? We really do not want a disposable stove.
I scrap atleast a dozen old pre EPA stoves a year many times more that are no longer useable. All stoves wear out over time or are destroyed by abuse. As I said there is absolutely no way I would ever go back to a pre EPA stove for heating my house.

Reactions: FisherStove
What would make it not work? They have that many parts?
That stove. Not really it really is a pretty simple one. Unless they abused it and cracked one of the main panels I don't know what would cause it to be just parts. Even that could be fixed with a new panel but it probably wouldn't be worth it

Just interesting
Screenshot_20220427-135342_Facebook.jpg
Screenshot_20220427-135154_Facebook.jpg
Screenshot_20220427-135108_Facebook.jpg
Screenshot_20220427-135104_Facebook.jpg
Screenshot_20220427-135120_Facebook.jpg

The other thing looks kind of like a pizza oven

Reactions: FisherStove
The one was made after 1990 because it has a EPA compliance label. That is better than pre EPA.

Are you sure that's a hearthstone? My guess from the look is that it is a more modern more efficient stove. But I would have to know the make and model or atleast see internal pics.
He says it's got all the stickers. Only had a fire in it twice. Guessing he's not home to send pics.

He says it's got all the stickers. Only had a fire in it twice. Guessing he's not home to send pics.
Why is he selling it after only 2 fires? Sounds fishy

It just doesn't look like any hearthstone I have ever seen. The glass looks really dirty for 2 fires as well

I'm trying to comprehend this thread.

So you want an old (pre-EPA) stove. E.g. a Fisher. Ok, not my choice, but preferences exist.

Then you post many pics. All of which essentially result in a comment "that's an old model, it'll be inefficient, check for cracks". Because really judging the (remaining) quality of (or life in) a stove is tough based on a few pics like that.

I think it's time to write down a few guidelines based on which you can choose (and take the risk). And because I have the audacity to propose this, I am obligated to start - despite my far less knowledge of old stoves. (I.e. others will correct me and expand on this list.)

- Check for warping of panels
- Check for cracks
- Check for white spots (due to overheating)
- Check seals (of cast panels w/ stove cement and gaskets around doors and windows); this is not a show stopper as you can fix things but you want to know before how much work a stove is going to be to get operable
- Check if it's a coal vs wood stove
- See how large the firebox is (so you can estimate a bit the heat output and duration, going by volume and performance of similar old and inefficient stoves)
- See whether the flue is top or back side, and what size. Does it fit the place where you want it to go. Same for clearances (which will likely be 3 ft all around)
- Consider side loading, front loading, (and E/W vs N/S with respect to the door opening), and associated hearth sizing (likely needing to be insulated, and if not at least spark protector) needed for the candidate stove
- Consider split length that can be loaded

I'm trying to comprehend this thread.

So you want an old (pre-EPA) stove. E.g. a Fisher. Ok, not my choice, but preferences exist.

Then you post many pics. All of which essentially result in a comment "that's an old model, it'll be inefficient, check for cracks". Because really judging the (remaining) quality of (or life in) a stove is tough based on a few pics like that.

I think it's time to write down a few guidelines based on which you can choose (and take the risk). And because I have the audacity to propose this, I am obligated to start - despite my far less knowledge of old stoves. (I.e. others will correct me and expand on this list.)

- Check for warping of panels
- Check for cracks
- Check seals (of cast panels w/ stove cement and gaskets around doors and windows); this is not a show stopper as you can fix things but you want to know before how much work a stove is going to be to get operable
- Check if it's a coal vs wood stove
- See how large the firebox is (so you can estimate a bit the heat output and duration, going by volume and performance of similar old and inefficient stoves)
- See whether the flue is top or back side, and what size. Does it fit the place where you want it to go. Same for clearances (which will likely be 3 ft all around)
- Consider side loading, front loading, (and E/W vs N/S with respect to the door opening), and associated hearth sizing (likely needing to be insulated, and if not at least spark protector) needed for the candidate stove
- Consider split length that can be loaded
They have switched focus onto more modern stoves at this point. Coaly of all people talked them into it lol.

Then still, I'd be hesitant to make decisions based on what someone says in the net judging from a few pics.
So a list of "pay attention to this" is I think a more useful approach than asking "this one? or this one? or this one?" and receiving "fair, mwah, coal, pizza oven, dirty glass" answers. I mean I don't criticize the answers you give but the point is that they are not really helpful in providing datapoints based on which to decide whether to buy a stove or not.

This is my $0.02 so I may be wrong.

They have switched focus onto more modern stoves at this point. Coaly of all people talked them into it lol.
Ah, but it has come full circle.
The only stove that checks all those boxes;
-Check for warping of panels
- Check for cracks
- Check seals
Is a Fisher! They get white in spots that get really hot without damage, there are no gaskets, no cast iron to crack, but they smoke like an old Pinto that needs valve seals!

Ah, but it has come full circle.
The only stove that checks all those boxes;
-Check for warping of panels
- Check for cracks
- Check seals
Is a Fisher! They get white in spots that get really hot without damage, there are no gaskets, no cast iron to crack, but they smoke like an old Pinto that needs valve seals!
Well they can be damaged I have seen a few. But someone really has to put effort into doing it