Warming Morning Insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

newengland86

Jul 31, 2020
New England
All,
I'm looking for some advice/knowledge here, my father has a Warm morning insert (I am guessing 70's or 80s), I believe the Locke Stove Company used to make these. He burns every year with it, however he needs a SS liner for it. His chimney is fairly clean inside and is in good condition after each season however after looking at the specifics it appears there are 3 outlets (around 6 inches) that vent into the masonry chimney (see pics).

Would it be possible to make a manifold for the top in a 3 to 1 adapter and then connect to a SS liner? I have never seen a stove that has 3 outlets....that being said it does throw a lot of heat and he loves it so I am trying to see what our options are. There isn't to much literature on this particular stove, I was also curious if you can burn coal in this or just wood? Thanks for any advice you guys have.

20200906_095521.jpg20200906_095459.jpg

Wow, that is unusual. The only place I have seen a 3 holer is in a family outhouse. It's an odd venter for sure. Is there room in the chimney for an 8" liner?

Wow, that is unusual. The only place I have seen a 3 holer is in a family outhouse. It's an odd venter for sure. Is there room in the chimney for an 8" liner?

I believe there may be room for an 8 inch liner, I will check this weekend. I am assuming at 8 inches its enough for a stove that size.

A 10" liner would be a closer match for area. Three 6" holes = about 84 sq in. area. That said the 3 holes seems like overkill and more like for running the stove with the doors open, fireplace style. In that case an 8" liner should suffice for running it as a closed stove.

A 10" liner would be a closer match for area. Three 6" holes = about 84 sq in. area. That said the 3 holes seems like overkill and more like for running the stove with the doors open, fireplace style. In that case an 8" liner should suffice for running it as a closed stove.

We checked the prints and his flue is 12x12, so I dnt see any issue using an 8 inch SS liner. My guess is we could weld an adapter piece and be good to go.

If that was mine if I was going to do anything with it (which I wouldn't) I would cut the top off and put a single 8" outlet on it

Reactions: glenlloyd
We were also thinking of that as an option as well. May even be easier.
I think it is a better option. But really I would be looking at new stoves

Agreed. If the stove is used all winter, he will save a lot in reduced wood consumption and going with a 6" insulated liner. And the fire view will be much more enjoyable.

Thank you all for your experience and recommendations. After considering the different options on making this work and consequences of modifying it we decided to go ahead and purchase a new insert.

We purchased a Fire Xtrordinair Large Flush Hybrid. It was an easy decision with the new efficiency's and secondary combustion. Looking forward to the new insert for the upcoming burning season. Thanks again for all the advice.

That's a good decision, the fire view will be dramatically better. This will be quite a different burning experience. My only concern is the selection of a flush insert. The Warm Morning projects a lot into the room which greatly helps it put heat into the room. Flush inserts need to have the blower running to do that. For some, the continual noise is annoying. The other difference is that the new insert will be fussier about having fully seasoned wood. He may already be used to that. The new insert will burn much cleaner than the old WM.