water down the pipe

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bfgibson

Nov 2, 2008
Alabama
We've almost 6 inches of rain in our area over the past few days. I heard a small popping sound from the insert during one of the heavier downpours last night. I opened the door, shined the flashlight in, and noticed water streaks down the back wall of the insert. My insert is in a masonry fireplace. I ran a stainless liner up the chimney and installed a rain cap and top plate at the top of the chimney. Have any of you guys had water still come down your stove pipe? I guess the rain must've blown in through the sides of the rain cap? I wonder if I should be concerned about rust?

It could come down the pipe, or also it could be leaking in through the masonry and then dripping on top of the unit.

If it leaks every time it rains it will definitely speed up rusting.

Status
Not open for further replies.