Water inside firebox

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rkofler

Burning Hunk
Nov 15, 2011
Long Island
I was away for the past week, so my Jotul 550 insert obviously sat idle. Went to start a fire this evening and I find water inside. There was some ash in there too so it's hard to say exactly how much, but a good half inch in spots. So it was not just damp, there was actually standing water. I heard that there was a pretty wicked rain/wind storm in the New York area on Wednesday, so I'm assuming that is when this happened. Checked the cap, no issues. Anyone else ever get this much water in their stove? I have had the stove about 5 or 6 years, first time for me.
I was able to get a fire going so there seem to be no issues. Anything else I should be checking besides the cap?

A hard rain and high wind combined to soak the inside of my stove last summer. It's only happened once in the 15 or so years I've had this same setup though.

Yea it was a blowing rain storm in NYC last week.

Status
Not open for further replies.