1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

We also cut down weeks ago 2 8 to 10 inch black walnuts about the stumps

Post in 'The Wood Shed' started by jeanw, May 5, 2013.

1. jeanw

jeanw Member

Loc:
    ky
    They were in front of the 5 or so apples.... They were about 8 to 1 inches in diameter.... The apple trees are still suffering.... I kind of doubt if former deceaded owners planted them... Unless they were a different type black walnut. That may have been less harmful to apple trees or a garden... All on this old money pit place... Hubby cut stumps way down>>>>>
    NOW do we have the 2 stumps ground up or what????? Or find someone with a tractor, a big one to pull out the stumps or what???? Or someone suggested putting salt on the two black walnut stumps?????
    WE cut up and split the wood.. ranches lots are still pild up but cut into kindling some still close to the 5 or so neglected apple trees
    Thanks all
    Jean

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. bogydave

bogydave Minister of Fire

Loc:
    So Cent ALASKA
    Grind or pull them , walnut will take a long time to rot.
  3. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Michigan
    Good to clear around the apple trees for sure. Speaking of apple trees, ours will be blossoming this week. Peaches are blossomed now. Good to see. It happened in March last year. :mad:
  4. rdust

rdust Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Michigan
    I'm encouraged that I may actually have more than 2 apples on my tree's this year. Last year they didn't have a chance with the weather.
    Backwoods Savage likes this.
  5. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Michigan
    Today I saw one apple tree in blossom. Not ours though. We still need a few days.
  6. jdp1152

jdp1152 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Massachusetts
    Stumps....Type of tree is important.

Burn em...plenty of methods out there...including some ways to accelerate the process. I've cut the bottom off a metal trash can and after a few fires, it's pretty much gone. Only reason I use the trash can is so I could keep it contained since it wasn't too far from the house. once you got a good burn going, that stump is a lump of coal that needs to be contained. It will smolder for a long time. Drill into it pretty deep before doing this.

Drill down into them and apply a chemical that will accelerate the degradation. Google the chemical, don't recall off the top of my head. Just remember tractor supply having it. I wouldn't use salt as it can have a lasting effect in the soil after the stump is gone. If it's somewhere you don't care, by all means. Sometimes the critters will help you out by trying to get to the salt.

Grind em. Have seen some really variable pricing on this. Anywhere from 25-100/stump.

All in all...hardwoods I would grind or burn. Softwood or crappy hardwood (willow), I'd just drill out from top and sides (connecting the tunnels and let em rot within a year. No matter what direction you go, you'll need to keep filling that area in with soil as the root system degrades and it collapses.
    NortheastAl likes this.
  7. ansehnlich1

ansehnlich1 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Adams County, PA
    Juglans Nigra

Black Walnut has a chemical called juglone in it. Juglone remains in the ground for several years even after cutting a walnut down, though it gets less potent as time goes on. Lots of stuff won't grow under/around black walnut.

Plus, black walnut sawdust, shavings, leaves, bark, twigs, etc. also have juglone in 'em. I keep all black walnut away from my garden and flower beds.

I am king of Black Walnut, I have 'em everywhere. I've cut down all of 'em within 40 yards or so of my house.