Weather and wood burning.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Backwoods Savage

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Feb 14, 2007
Michigan
A thought came to mind last night when I was looking at the weather and I wondered how many pay close attention to the weather. That is, I look at the present temperature and the forecast temperature. Then I look at the conditions, that is, what is the sky condition now and what is forecast to happen. What about wind? Are there any storm fronts near?

So, do you look at the weather every day? Perhaps you are like me in that I look at it closely both morning and night. By doing so I am better prepared to know how to load and work the stove. I feel it is just one more tool in the wood burners tool belt.

I pay attention to the weather for that and other reasons. I have been waiting to see snow in the forecast. I got the plows ready and waiting to go, picked up some new accounts this year.

Jeff

A lot of us pay close attention to the weather. It helps us prepare for power outages and to get wood stocked up on the deck for a storm. As gardeners, we also watch it for freezes, for when soil temps are warm enough for summer crops, and the timing of rains.

Many years ago, when I was but a wee lad, I was living in a very remote area of Northern Maine, above Caribou. 700 people lived in that town, and about the same number STILL live in that town. They were all farmers. (most all).

One day, while riding my bicycle up and over the hill that sat in the middle of our little community, I saw a couple of the farmers standing in the field near the house, and they were both looking up into a blue sky, with white puffy clouds.

I stopped my bicycle, and asked them what they were doing. They responded, "we're lookin at tomorrow's weather!"

As an adult, I suppose in hind sight, they were somewhat joking with me, but not entirely. These folks I grew up around, were forced to plant and harvest according to climatic conditions. So there was some element of truth to what they said.

In fact, there is an old adage that I still quote from time to time, "Red sky in the morning, sailors take warning; Red sky at night, Sailor's delight" (speaking to wind conditons pending). It has proven to be valid, time and time again.

I watch the weather every day, but mostly to know how much of a bundle up I'll need to do, when I go outside, or whether or not to pull the tarp sides down over the wood piles. Other than that, I only watch the weather during hurricane season, to find out if we have one blowing up the eastern seaboard.

-Soupy1957

With horses, one must pay attention to the weather. It was a very quick realization that I'd better use it for wood, too.

Clear and sunny here for the past few days, and into Tuesday. My "iffy" wood is gloriously basking in the winds massage ;-)

I check it daily at least three times, for current, hourly, evening and next day. Good example this morning. I was working around the house all day yesterday and we had enough solar gain to hold 68* inside (only 40's outside). Since I didn't stop working till midnight, momma and daughter included, the house kinda chilled off 62*.
I fired up the stove at 1200 and stayed up for another hour or so to get it set. 1 load was not enough to heat the whole house so this morning is was chilly again 62* The weather today is forcasted to be 52 so I just ran the furnace a bit 15-20min. That will be it for the day as far a heat goes till around 9 tonight.

Thrusday snow they say!

soupy1957 said:
Many years ago, when I was but a wee lad, I was living in a very remote area of Northern Maine, above Caribou. 700 people lived in that town, and about the same number STILL live in that town. They were all farmers. (most all).

One day, while riding my bicycle up and over the hill that sat in the middle of our little community, I saw a couple of the farmers standing in the field near the house, and they were both looking up into a blue sky, with white puffy clouds.

I stopped my bicycle, and asked them what they were doing. They responded, "we're lookin at tomorrow's weather!"

As an adult, I suppose in hind sight, they were somewhat joking with me, but not entirely. These folks I grew up around, were forced to plant and harvest according to climatic conditions. So there was some element of truth to what they said.

In fact, there is an old adage that I still quote from time to time, "Red sky in the morning, sailors take warning; Red sky at night, Sailor's delight" (speaking to wind conditons pending). It has proven to be valid, time and time again.

I watch the weather every day, but mostly to know how much of a bundle up I'll need to do, when I go outside, or whether or not to pull the tarp sides down over the wood piles. Other than that, I only watch the weather during hurricane season, to find out if we have one blowing up the eastern seaboard.

-Soupy1957

Soupy, you helped bring back some old memories. Because I grew up on a dairy farm we had to be well aware of the weather and it was a daily and sometimes an hourly thing. Those farmers were not joking with you at all! They were just doing what farmers need to do. Today it is not quite as important as it was many moons ago simply because farming has changed so much.

For example, when I was a young lad I remember that we had to put up a lot of hay every summer. We numbered the bales by the thousands and had a very large barn for storing this hay. When I was really young I remember putting up hay loose rather than baling. If you go through the countryside or maybe see these things at an antique show, look sometimes at the old hay loaders. I recall using one of these contraptions. Of course it took more man power. Once the hay was ready, we'd have one person on the tractor. Behind that was the hay wagon with 2 people on that stacking the loose hay. The loader was hooked directly behind the wagon. Then it came time to store the hay. For that we used one person on a tractor onto which someone hooked a rope. Of course there was another person on top of the hay wagon setting the forks to raise the hay to get it into the mow.

But the ropes went through pulleys and on the first pull, it raised the hay and one person in the hay mow would holler when it got high enough. Another person, usually a young boy, would wave to the person on the tractor who was backing up while pulling the rope. After stopping, the tractor was then drove forward just enough so the boy could unhook the rope. He would then go to the other rope while the tractor drove to him. That rope got hooked on and on this pull the hay would be taken into the mow. When it got where the workers wanted it dumped they again would holler. The boy would signal, rope unhooked etc. Then the boy would come back and he had to manipulate the rope to get it back down to the person who was setting the forks.

In addition to all of this, in that time there was no hay conditioner. That meant a minimum of 3-5 days that the hay needed for curing before it was put up. That is one big reason for keeping track of the weather. Knowing when to cut the hay was a learned thing which some farmers never could seem to learn. They are the ones who put up poor hay which had an effect on the amount of milk they got which had a big effect on their paychecks.

I recall one time (and please do not take this for bragging because it is not intended to be that) I worked for a farmer for a summer (there were 3 of us boys and I was the youngest so naturally the older boy were used more in the farm and I sometimes was left out). I remember the very first day I was there he started talking (while milking in the morning) that maybe we should cut some hay that day. My comment to him was that I wouldn't and he asked why. I told him what I thought the weather was going to do. Back then we didn't have the weather reports that are available today. His words: "You sound just like your grandfather!" I asked why he said that and he told me that he never knew anyone who could forecast the weather better than my grandfather. Yes, I took that as a compliment. I had told him that it would rain the day after tomorrow. When that day rolled around I received another compliment and a big thank you because we had a big rain.

I may not be as good as I once was with the weather but by habit, all my life, or since childhood, I have always been aware of the weather and predicting what could happen. I believe that has been a big factor in my ability to successfully heat with wood.

Some of the old weather sayings are pretty neat with much wisdom. Some like:

Crow on the fence, rain will go hence. Crow on the ground, rain will come down.

Or other things like watching the animals. Chickens were one we paid attention to. When outdoors and we got some rain we would watch the chickens. If it started raining and the birds ran into the coop, we knew it was just a shower. If they stayed outside, figure on a long rain.

Before the rain, especially in the winter months, we liked to let the cows outdoors while we cleaned the barn. Every once in a while we'd have a nice sunny day but would notice every so often some of the cows, especially the heifers, would start running around and even bucking to kick up their heels. If so, we knew a storm was coming. But, we did not know how big the storm was; just that we would either be getting rain or snow.

Cheers.

I use the same method we used when I was raised on the ranch. I watch the weather forecast on TV.

Backwoods Savage said:
A thought came to mind last night when I was looking at the weather and I wondered how many pay close attention to the weather. That is, I look at the present temperature and the forecast temperature. Then I look at the conditions, that is, what is the sky condition now and what is forecast to happen. What about wind? Are there any storm fronts near?

So, do you look at the weather every day? Perhaps you are like me in that I look at it closely both morning and night. By doing so I am better prepared to know how to load and work the stove. I feel it is just one more tool in the wood burners tool belt.

Sav I check it daily this time of year and with the cold front making it's way east for the week of Thanksgiving we will have our wood pushed in plus today I'm recutting some sugar maple down from 18 to 14.75 for the colder nights for north/south loading.

zap

I always keep my eye on the 10 day forecast, this time of the year I watch to see what days I GET to burn and come March, I watch it to see what days I DON'T HAVE TO burn.

I look at Weather Underground generally 2-3 times a day.

Its very accurate for up to the minute local radar info!

I keep close watch and animate the map when storms/fronts are coming through.

As far as extended forecast its like all the rest. :eek:hh:

http://www.wunderground.com

Cheers,Hiram

Hiram, I too look at Weatherunderground as well as accuweather. I also have my home page set to NOAA. And I also find that weatherunderground apparently gets their forecast from NOAA.

Here is my home page: Home page for Saginaw, MI

If you want to look up for your area you could click on the link and at the top of the page you will be able to type in the name of your closest weather city and then bookmark it for your own use.

I look at the weather a lot during the day it helps me know what to do to load the stove.

I like to keep track of the weather so I know if I should go out and do something outside,....or stay in and drink coffee, or make some soup or bread, or get on the Hearth. :coolsmile:

Hi all- Being a manufacturer of wood firelogs we watch the weather constantly. Especially when the "winter forecast" comes out. Last year was not very good for those of us who rely on winter actually being winter!!!

Hey, we certainly do not wish you any bad luck but a lot of folks are still hoping for another mild winter. So far this fall they have not been disappointed.

Hi Dennis, I check the weather 3 days ahead or so also, and I always check what is going to happen with the wind and the low temperatures overnight. I have a small stove, so if it is going to be cold, windy, or both, I'll really stock it up for the overnight burn, and use the hardest woods.

I also check the weather before bicycling rides so I know to head out in a headwind and come back in a tailwind...

DBoon said:
Hi Dennis, I check the weather 3 days ahead or so also, and I always check what is going to happen with the wind and the low temperatures overnight. I have a small stove, so if it is going to be cold, windy, or both, I'll really stock it up for the overnight burn, and use the hardest woods.

I also check the weather before bicycling rides so I know to head out in a headwind and come back in a tailwind...

lol. I'm glad I'm not the only one! But sometimes you have one of those days. I recall one time early in the year when I left home heading into a 15-20 mph west wind. After 20 miles I turned north. After another 6 or 7 miles I turned back east but took time for a pit stop and a little bite to eat (I was noticing some tired body parts at that point) there as I was in a small town. After about 20 minutes I headed back east. In town I did not notice too much as it has a very slight downhill going out but as soon as I was away from the buildings I got a nasty surprise. Expecting a nice tailwind, I then faced a stiff ENE wind all the way home and the temperature dropped about 6 degrees. I was one happy camper when I finally got home. The legs were tired!

I have noticed the last week that noaa has missed the forecast a lot makes for rough wood burning.

Corey, I've also noticed that it tends to run in cycles. Comparing NOAA with accuweather can be interesting. For a time it seems that one or the other is off while the other is almost dead on. I have caught the fact that it is that way but still haven't nailed down if it pertains to one type of weather over another. So I read both and make a determination from there. One problem is that over the years my weather forecasting ability has become sloppy because of depending upon those sources rather than my own instincts.

I bet a lot of folks here check the weather often for the same reasons that draw them to wood burning--a connection, interest, and satisfaction from nature. I know it's true for me. I check the weather multiple times a day, have the radar from wunderground.com up, etc.

Hiram Maxim said:
I look at Weather Underground generally 2-3 times a day.

Jinx! [punching Hiram on the arm] You owe me a Coke!

Thanks for the stories. Very pleasant reminder of simple virtues.

Backwoods Savage said:
Corey, I've also noticed that it tends to run in cycles. Comparing NOAA with accuweather can be interesting. For a time it seems that one or the other is off while the other is almost dead on. I have caught the fact that it is that way but still haven't nailed down if it pertains to one type of weather over another. So I read both and make a determination from there. One problem is that over the years my weather forecasting ability has become sloppy because of depending upon those sources rather than my own instincts.
I agree also about noaa and accuweather one may say 40 the other one says 32 it happened last night. Me i prefer noaa but they can miss it often which is why i also go by instinct.

I went to school for meterology but ended up changing majors and careers, no money in weather but I still love it, its a big hobby of mine. Some days I wish I would have followed through. Love the winter storms, they're fascinating to track and watch develop.

I use the same method we used when I was raised on the ranch. I watch the weather forecast on TV.

Yes, when I was a kid and worked on my neighbors farm we would go in the house and watch the weather on tv too.

Status
Not open for further replies.