1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Weather check, Lower 48 is all in the 90s+

Post in 'The Inglenook' started by bogydave, Jul 2, 2012.

1. bogydave

bogydave Minister of Fire

Loc:
    So Cent ALASKA
    Lots of high temps being broken.
    Hope you all have air-conditioning.
    Some heat wave, thunder storms & high humidity,
    Drink lots of fluids, beer is good for you, at home after work :)
    Mid 60s here.
    DexterDay likes this.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. DexterDay

DexterDay Guest

Hottest Summer (this early) I can remember.

Everyday you can bet its gonna be a scorcher!!

As for the storms, we had a good one pass through yesterday evening. Tornado warnings and 45-60 mph winds (seemed higher, but thats just watching my Willow trees bounce back and forth ;))

Even with the storms, we have very little rain. It only rained for maybe 10 minutes. The ground is cracking everywhere and the grass is a "crispy brown" shade of green ;) Hurts to walk barefoot. Like walking on pins and needles!!
    ScotO likes this.
  3. firebroad

firebroad Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Carroll County, MD
    Had storms all over the place down here, high winds, lots of lightening, very little rain (where I am). Power went out Friday night, stayed out 24hrs at my house, had to go 45 miles to my Dad, he is old and doesn't feel the heat so much. Got him dressed, drove around to various places with a/c, went back to my house with him later that night when my power came one. Took Dad back home late last night when his came back, brought some new food, threw out spoiled, etc.
    Supposed to stay in the 90's close to 100 all week--some folks still haven't got power.
    Amazing how we have come to depend on electricity. Cooking, well pump, etc.
  4. begreen

begreen Mooderator Staff Member

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    Pish posh. Last winter everyone was enjoying the mild winter and saying if this is global warming, bring it on. Be careful what you ask for, you may get it.

FWIW, I expect to see grain prices sky high soon. Combined with low rainfall, a lot a crops are already toast.
    bogydave and firebroad like this.
  5. firebroad

Loc:
    Carroll County, MD
    Is it October yet? ==c
    ScotO likes this.
  6. bogydave

bogydave Minister of Fire

Loc:
    So Cent ALASKA
    +1
    We like the weather changes that benefit us, but the longer term consequences might come at a high cost.
    Corn already has had a big jump in price. (up to $6.67/bushel, up 21%)
    http://seekingalpha.com/article/696271-hot-weather-sets-grain-market-on-fire?source=yahoo
  7. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Michigan
    This is now way the worst we've had. Remember 1988 anyone? Many, many days over 100 degrees here in MI and very little rainfall. Many fields planted with corn but not enough moisture to even start the growth. Other fields turned brown in late June already. Nonetheless, it is danged hot here. I don't like it either. On the plus side, it appears we will get relief by Sunday.
  8. jeff_t

jeff_t Minister of Fire

Loc:
    SE MI
    I remember baling straw at night. There was no dew, and 100°+ during the day. It was still hot as hell in the barn, but at least it was refreshing to come out in the night.

And it ain't gonna be just grain prices http://www.detroitnews.com/article/...om-feds?odyssey=mod|newswell|text|FRONTPAGE|p
  9. firebroad

Loc:
    Carroll County, MD
  10. begreen

begreen Mooderator Staff Member

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    Yep, I think we are going to see some generally higher food prices due to this heat. Fruit and veggie crops, meat, grain, fuel (ethanol), will all be affected.
  11. nate379

nate379 Guest

Almost thought about firing up the stove today. 49* right now.
  12. nate379

nate379 Guest

That should read "amazing how people who aren't prepared come to depend on electricity". The rest of us have means to get along just fine. That is one big reason I have a woodstove.
    I haven't taken it as far as the "prepper" people, but I wouldn't have any trouble living without outside support for a few months. I have enough food, wood for heat, and make my own electricity (solar panels).

Oh and of course more guns and ammo then some gun stores, but that's normal for here.