1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Weird NC30 single wall pipe clearance

Post in 'The Hearth Room - Wood Stoves and Fireplaces' started by Highbeam, Oct 4, 2013.

1. Highbeam

Highbeam Minister of Fire

Loc:
    base of Mt. Rainier on the wet side, WA
    So the owner's manual for the NC30 repeatedly calls out 16" as the distance from the single wall pipe to the combustible wall. Isn't it supposed to be 18"? Does the manual trump the standard 18" requirement or is the requirement now 16"?

http://www.englanderstoves.com/manuals/30-NC.pdf

Double wall on this stove doesn't save you much. Such odd installation requirements.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. blades

blades Minister of Fire

Loc:
    WI, Milw
    18" from combustible ceiling (in the case of a horizontal run), 16" from wall/ with single wall pipe no shields
    Double wall black pipe 12", unit comes with rear heat shield on stove.
  3. webby3650

webby3650 Master of Fire

Loc:
    southern Indiana
    Yes, this would trump the standard 18" requirement. Since they tested it this way it's ok. I've ran into this a few times and still don't mind sticking with the 18"s.
    We called Englander and asked about the strange clearance with the double wall. They said that double wall pipe allowed the stove to get hotter therefore it didn't allow much of a reduction by using double wall.
  4. A1Stoves.com

A1Stoves.com Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northern CA
    webby is right on, the makers label or manual trumps NFPA211 18" requiremnet
  5. Highbeam

Loc:
    Thanks guys. I believe that I'll follow the advice and stick to 18" anyway which should give an extra margin of safety plus will allow a future stove to be installed. Looking at 10 feet of vertical single wall and then 8 feet of vertical class A duratech.
  6. A1Stoves.com

A1Stoves.com Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northern CA
    i always recommend DVL pipe if there is 8' or more of exposed pipe in the room
    (some makers now require it)
  7. Highbeam

Loc:
    The NC30 manual allows 10' max of single wall. This is a pole barn stove so it will be run hard and hot every so often and not simmered like a home stove. Hope to save some cash by sticking with single wall and also I just want to try it. I've only ever used double wall DVL.

Does the NC30 stove collar take single wall straight in without an adapter?
  8. EatenByLimestone

EatenByLimestone Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Schenectady, NY
    Singlewall will fit fine and you picked a good stove to run hard.

Matt