Weird plastic smell

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Smokinbubba

Burning Hunk
Nov 30, 2019
Central Ohio
Anyone ever get a weird plastic smell? Been running my PDV for about a month off and on (winter isn't in central Ohio yet) The past few days, I have noticed a rather unpleasant hot plastic smell coming from my stove. Searched here and didn't find much other than the normal burn off smell. I am WAY past that now. I am burning Green Supreme Appalation hardwoods. I hope its not the pellets since I got 3 ton a couple weeks ago! Going to check my combustion fan intake tonight to make sure dog hair hasn't plugged up the works but after running off and on for 1 month, I cant see this being the problem. Top of stove does seem warmer than normal but this batch of GS's are small and feed faster than normal, thus producing more heat. Running on a stat and never calls for heat, so basically running on heat setting 1 all the time. Magic numbers at 1-5-1. Cleaned stove with LBT 2 weeks ago so stove is super clean. This thing stinks!

is it a new stove this year, maybe open the sides to make sure no wiring is out of place, if not than I would run it on max for awhile and watch it, that should burn off anything after an hour. Is the stink coming from the heat exchangers or the back, maybe the chimney burning off residual oils if its a new install.

Reactions: tlc1976
Is this the first time you have run it this hot? If so it may be burning off additional junk in places that never got hot enough before.

Never noticed a smell of anything from my pellet stove, just warm air coming across the room.

Anyone ever get a weird plastic smell? Been running my PDV for about a month off and on (winter isn't in central Ohio yet) The past few days, I have noticed a rather unpleasant hot plastic smell coming from my stove. Searched here and didn't find much other than the normal burn off smell. I am WAY past that now. I am burning Green Supreme Appalation hardwoods. I hope its not the pellets since I got 3 ton a couple weeks ago! Going to check my combustion fan intake tonight to make sure dog hair hasn't plugged up the works but after running off and on for 1 month, I cant see this being the problem. Top of stove does seem warmer than normal but this batch of GS's are small and feed faster than normal, thus producing more heat. Running on a stat and never calls for heat, so basically running on heat setting 1 all the time. Magic numbers at 1-5-1. Cleaned stove with LBT 2 weeks ago so stove is super clean. This thing stinks!
Is this when the stove is closed or is it when you open the door or from outside? You shouldn't smell anything when it's in operation after the initial burn off. Do you have CO2 detectors?

Is this when the stove is closed or is it when you open the door or from outside? You shouldn't smell anything when it's in operation after the initial burn off. Do you have CO2 detectors?
I've been running it off and on for a month. It is a reman unit from AMFM so not even a new stove. Pipe is new but again, had been running off and on for a month. The smell comes from the convection air when the stove is closed. I do have a CO detector and it is silent. It is burning great, low ash, nice dancing flame. A little taller than I want but with these smaller pellets, I cant dial it down any more than I have.
MH, I will take the back off and check wires tonight.
TLC, Its running on heat setting 1 trim on 1-5-1. It never runs higher than that except for startup. Winter isn't here yet.
Asked Dad if his smells like plastic and he said no. We got 6t of GS together and split the order, so same pellets.

Smoke have you run it on high 9 - 9 for a couple hours? Ever?

I had it on 8 once for 20min to bring my house from 59deg to 72deg.
No plastic smell tonight! Maybe it was that 1 bag...

They recommend burning the stove on highest settings for an hour or two for a burn in. It heat cures the paint and allows all the oils and contaminants from the manufacturing process to burn off/ off gas. Hight temp paint will have a plastic smell when it burns/cures

When I purchased my 52i, I had cleaned it and repainted it. The stench it gave off on first fire even though the paint had "air cured" for 2 weeks was amazing. I hadn't really got it hot until a week later -5 outside for 3 days...As soon as I went wide open...it returned. As long as it doesn't smell like burnt wiring I wouldn't worry

I will have to wait for winter to get here to really crank it up. Almost 60deg. Here today. Ml deer season starts tomorrow. Maybe the warmest ml season ever.