Well, I have the next couple years under control

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bcrewcaptain

Oct 27, 2015
Central Va
Back into the wood burning business. The wife had done day-care from the home while my son was pre-school age, and well, toddlers and stoves...got tired of the heat pump bill, so picked up another stove to slide into the chimney.
I may have gone a little overboard picking up every piece of wood on the property. Rented a splitter for $150 a week, the first one had a hydraulic leak, took it back and they said keep an extra week....who am I to argue.
A mixed bag of hardwoods, and I wish I had been able to separate by type, but who was I to argue with the father in law/mother in law chipping in as payment for them being at my house for THREE WEEKS for the holidays. Sadly almost all is going to be too wet to burn, so I may have to work a trade with the neighbors for some seasoned wood. Thankfully it's been in the 60's all month, so I haven't needed it.
No post is good without pics, so here are a few early ones, now I need to make up my mind which route to follow for a cover.
Not too shabby for a weeks worth, but my back and chainsaw need a break!

1227151640_Pano_zpszar4qnie.jpg
1227151641a_Pano1_zpssuasqzbp.jpg
1229151710_Pano_zpszec7ka98.jpg

Thanks guys, my chainsaw arm is tired, but it'll be worth it next yr, I had forgotten how much I missed wood heat. Next projects going to be covering the stacks. My father has a stack of 12'x36" corrugated fiberglass panels that should fit the bill nicely, I can join them together with some rubber stall mat strips I have laying around. I hate tarps, so hopefully these will look slightly better, I may even paint them a semi camo pattern for true redneck effect

Reactions: Oldman47
Well done old chap, cover the top and leave the sides open, let the wind go through.

bob

Well done old chap, cover the top and leave the sides open, let the wind go through.

bob
Tis the plan, thankfully most of the piles also face the southwest, so they should be getting a fair amount of sun/wind.
Now to bribe the old man to let me have the fiberglass panels, and I'll be in good shape!
For those that handsplit, I envy you, my bad back does not. I figure we put in 20hrs or so on the splitter, of course half of that was the OCD inlaws fighting about how the logs went best on the thing:rolleyes:

Looks like your set for a couple of seasons!!!! Looks great. That is how I stack mine between trees and only the top covered with a piece of tin from the father in law's metal building...

Nice stacks - bet the woods look nice and clean to, what stove did you end up installing? Also you can get a ton of compressed wood blocks which is equal to a cord of wood for emergency / weekend fires between $220.00 & $300.00 per ton

Nice stacks - bet the woods look nice and clean to, what stove did you end up installing? Also you can get a ton of compressed wood blocks which is equal to a cord of wood for emergency / weekend fires between $220.00 & $300.00 per ton

Right now I'm using a modified logwood stove(yes I know, gasps from the crowd). I can mix some of the older wood with some cedar and burn it "ok", but I may look into some of the blocks. Liberty bricks is only about 45 minutes from me, and right now is cheaper for a ton than going to pick up a cord of seasoned wood. Plus I can store inside, which will make wifey happy! (pickup price on those is about 170/ton, so that may not be a bad plan this year at least to grab some to supplement.)

You may be in luck with getting a new stove next to nothing soon, the epa clean air rules tighten down soon and some of the newer models that are doing a good job do not meet these new guidelines, if there's a decent stock the manufactorer will cut there prices down to move there product before they can't sell them anymore, keep an eye out

Reactions: bacon910
You may be in luck with getting a new stove next to nothing soon, the epa clean air rules tighten down soon and some of the newer models that are doing a good job do not meet these new guidelines, if there's a decent stock the manufactorer will cut there prices down to move there product before they can't sell them anymore, keep an eye out

A new stove will be in the works for the future, this one has it's pluses. I have it set now I can get a pretty long burn time out of it(6-8hrs is doable) coals for a relight for 10. Although I don't like how far the thing sticks out in my room, the fact I can toss a 25" long round in the thing, does have it's advantages. As with everything, gotta have approval from the bosslady though!

If you do try the liberty bricks I'd like to hear how they work. I have plenty of cord wood but as you said 170 bucks a ton is hard to beat. I'd also want to take the truck and trailer get three skids at a time being it's almost an hour and a half away.

If you do try the liberty bricks I'd like to hear how they work. I have plenty of cord wood but as you said 170 bucks a ton is hard to beat. I'd also want to take the truck and trailer get three skids at a time being it's almost an hour and a half away.
They work great. I've been using them for a few years now, both alone and as a supplement. I've posted on them a few times if you care to search...

Good to know! I'll take your word for it

You have been busy and have done very good. You will be set in the future and at least you have the security of knowing that at this point.

Status
Not open for further replies.