1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Went to get a new "gas can" for chainsaw gas

Post in 'The Gear' started by bogydave, May 1, 2012.

1. gpcollen1

gpcollen1 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Western CT
    No SLOW is something I can sympathize with!!!

How about you guys use a real can?? Plenty to choose from...not all are created equal and a reason why these cost $$

http://www.northernsafety.com/Search?q=gas can

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. bogydave

bogydave Minister of Fire

Loc:
    So Cent ALASKA
    Well I filled the saw per the instructions. The gas stopped when the tank was almost full. So far so good.
    Released the nozzle so the internal valve closed. OK that worked.
    Pulled the nozzle out of the saw's gas tank, :eek:
    The gas in the nozzle over filled the gas tank & gas went all over the saw.
    So much for spill proof.

gpcollen1: I've used those cans, I can't see when the saw's fuel tank is full with them & still end up spilling gas.
    Must be my technique & poor vision with these new spill proof cans. Operator error on my part.
  3. Punky

Punky New Member

Loc:
    Merrimac Valley, MA
    My old gas tanks had fine mesh screens built into the spout. None of the newer cans I found have those filter screens. This is one more example of how things just keep getting worse for the consumer. Kind of like how a roll of toilet paper still has 1000 sheets, but if the sheets get any smaller things could get messy.
  4. greg13

greg13 Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    CNY
    OK, so you take a 1"diameter spout and put it into a 1" diameter fuel fill neck, OH ya, you cant!!!
  5. TreePointer

TreePointer Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Western PA
    I switched to the No-Spill cans. I like them a lot better than I thought I would.
  6. bogydave

Loc:
    So Cent ALASKA
    I thought I would too.
    Not saying I don't like them.. "yet"... I think it's operator error. My 1st attempt failed. But I've spilled more with regular spout. Maybe I'll figure it out.
    What's the trick?
    Next time I'll put the spout as far into the saw gas tank as I can, maybe I wasn't in far enough. (Go deeper, I've heard that before :confused: )
    It don't work for my small saw though.

greg13
    I can't use it the way it's designed to fill my small saw, the spout don't fit into the gas tank.
    I have the same problem you mentioned with the spout diameter being to big (Never heard that before :) )
    (or the saw's tank cap is to small)

May still make a small can that will work form me, & use the spill proof cans to keep filled with fresh mixed gas to fill it.
    Gasoline is becoming to expensive to spill it :)
  7. MasterMech

MasterMech Guest

You're kidding right? I haven't seen a cheap box-store EPA can that didn't leak from the over complicated POS spout. Gas doesn't get anywhere near the tank. :mad: As far as the vapor emmisions go, I need to meet the genius that thought these new cans are gonna help that problem. OK, so the can is sealed preventing the vapors from evaporating willy nilly around the neighborhood. What, pray tell, is the first thing they tell you to do when using the can? Go read the tag that came on the can, I''ll wait...... Press the lever/button to vent the can! And just where does all that built up vapor go? Same place that the vapors went when you left a traditional can's vent open. These cans (with the exception of No-Spill brand cans.) are a perfect example of new but not improved. People are spilling more fuel, frustrated with a product that doesn't do what it was designed to do, and has little if any beneficial effects on the environment.

Excellent advice!

Nice thing about the No-Spill cans is they are MUCH faster than the el-cheapo cans. Especially the Blitz cans. I have two 5 gal Blitz cans and will be giving them away shortly. Jags there is a video on youtube regarding how to "fix" a Blitz can using a pair of dykes and a tire valve stem. Very slick. Guy is awful proud of himself though.

ewdudley likes this.
  8. MasterMech

MasterMech Guest

Dave I think TreePointer was referring to the actual No-Spill brand cans I showed in my earlier post as opposed to the ones in your pic. The ones in your pic will frustrate you to no end.

PS. The no-spill's work great with small tanks on trimmers and saws. ;)
  9. bogydave

Loc:
    So Cent ALASKA

The ones I found here are the Briggs & Straton brand, & say now spill on the cans.
    I'll look around as I'm out & about, for the "No spill " brand name. : http://www.nospill.com/
    It does look more "user friendly"
  10. TreePointer

Loc:
    Western PA
    Yep, I was referring to genuine No-Spill brand cans (www.nospill.com). I have the new version with the view stripe that allows easy determination of fill level.

Blitz cans are bleeyuck!
  11. taxidermist

taxidermist Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Fowlerville MI
  12. fossil

fossil Accidental Moderator Staff Member

Loc:
    Bend, OR
    Aren't we all...:rolleyes:
  13. chuckie5fingers

chuckie5fingers Member

Loc:
    60 S. of Chicago
    HAHAHAHA......I worked at a Catholic cemetery years ago as a seasonal employee over the summer cutting grass.
    we used those exact same cans, damn near indestructable.
    chuck
  14. fossil

fossil Accidental Moderator Staff Member

Loc:
    Bend, OR
    Well, hell, if it's good enough for a Catholic cemetery, it's good enough for me.
  15. bogydave

Loc:
    So Cent ALASKA
    I used it again today. I put the spout in the saw as far as it would go.
    When I closed it & pulled the spout out, the saw was 99% full & none spilled.;)
    So it does work if the operator uses it right. (so you can teach an old dog, new tricks :) )

Still gonna look for one with a smaller spout diameter, that will work with both saws.
    ("No Spill", I like their push button valve control, but not found a dealer in my area yet.)

The small 1 gallon size does make it easy to handle & carry around.
    Having two, 1 gallon cans is working too, I rarely use much over a gallon per trip, so I can keep filling the one I empty with fresh gas & always have a full gallon of fresh gas at the P/U.
  16. MasterMech

MasterMech Guest

Stihl dealerships and any OPE dealership with a Stens or Rotary account can get them. That should cover 99.9% of the OPE dealers, lol.
  17. TreePointer

Loc:
    Western PA
    Around me, I've seen No-Spill products at Stihl dealers and Do It Best hardware stores.
  18. n6crv

n6crv Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Hillsdale Co. Michigan
    Now that is nice!!! Next time I'll check out the can.LOL
  19. Highbeam

Highbeam Minister of Fire

Loc:
    base of Mt. Rainier on the wet side, WA
    I noticed in the car parts catalog, summit racing is the one, that they sell the same old large 5 gallon fuel jugs that are vented and with a 1" spout for cheap money. They are to be used with "water" though.

I fill the tractor with the walmart blitz 5 gallon cans and no vent. They are slow but do not spill. I lug the full 5 gallon jug up there and dump the whole thing in. As my arms get tired, the weight goes down. As I get older and weaker I may need to mod the cans with vents.
  20. bogydave

Loc:
    So Cent ALASKA
    Still looking for the No-Spill brand.
    I did find that one of my old jug's cap & flexible spout fit the new 1 gallon cans. I'm using it now & I sure spill less.
  21. pybyr

pybyr Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Adamant, VT 05640
    Amazon has the No-Spills (as contrasted with- the great accidental but spot-on typo in a prior post above of "now-spill") and if you go over $25 you'll even get the free economy grade shipping. Just ordered one.
  22. bogydave

Loc:
    So Cent ALASKA
    Free shipping to Alaska?
  23. firebroad

firebroad Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Carroll County, MD
    I have been using a cap & spout like this on my cans for years. The spout is a pain because you have to hold it open while you pour.

[​IMG]