What combustor catalyst should I buy?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

slindo

Mar 14, 2008
Maine
Figured it was about time for the annual fall "what cat should I buy thread".

Seems I have my choice of a Clearskies for $160, and a couple of ones with no manufacturer specified, for similar prices. I can get a ceramic Condar for $202, or the mysterious metal version for $249. And there's a place, Advanced Cat Systems, that has some good prices, then a tiny note saying they don't really sell them anymore. I haven't priced a genuine VC yet, but figure it will probably be $379, the way everything else is going there.

And Firecat says they are the only company that really makes them in the US anymore. Does that mean the others are all Chinese, or that all the ceramic ones are made by the same company?

My inclination is to go with the lowest priced one. I never have managed to collect on a prorated waranty anyhow (my VC dealer used to play some sleight-of-hand by insisting that if you used the prorated warranty the new one would be warranteed for only the remaining time on the old one, bogus, but threatening to take them to court everytime I needed a part was tiring).

Any thoughts or advice?

I'd steer away from the clearskies. I heard they clog easy and are harder to vacuum or brush out. Too bad about those Advanced Catalyst steel cats, I really thought they had something good there. Seems to me the old honey combed cats are still the best choice around.

Status
Not open for further replies.