1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

What do you burn in southern Colorado

Post in 'The Hearth Room - Wood Stoves and Fireplaces' started by DavidV, Dec 5, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DavidV

DavidV New Member

Loc:
    Richmond VA
    My brother is building his retirement home in southern colorado. From the pictures I've seen it's beautiful, but not a lot of trees. Just scrub brush etc. What do you folks in that region burn in your stoves? Reason I'm asking he intends to put some kind of stove in and doesn't know a lot about it. There is no power grid where he is building so the place has to be completely self sufficient. I was thinking freestanding stove since you don't want to rely on anything that needs a blower.
    David

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Sundeep Arole

Sundeep Arole New Member

Loc:
    Framingham, MA
    Colorado is a great place for solar, if he wants to consider that option as well.
  3. DavidV

DavidV New Member

Loc:
    Richmond VA
    He's building that in but I'm sure that on those long cold winter nights, followed by whiteout winter days, you don't want to be relieing on solar charged batteries to run the blower on your stove.
  4. DavidV

DavidV New Member

Loc:
    Richmond VA
    hope that doesn't sound smart ass. maybe you meant "earth ship" type solar.... biomass, etc. He definately wants to be green but the last thing you ever want to be is cold. would it make sense to consider a wood/coal stove? IS it mostly pine that's burned there?
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.