What do you use to pick up your pellet orders of 1 ton +?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
iceman said:
JohnnyHaulin said:
dw06 said:
Glad to see this topic, as I was going to ask about what trailers some are using to haul a ton at a time. I use my old 97 s-10 and haul 30-35 bags in it. Getting ready to retire it and was looking at trailers, either a 5x8 or a 5x10 with a 3500lb axle and 14 inch tires. I want to be able to haul a ton of pellets or gravel. I've looked at the one that richkorn has at TSC, and if it would do what I want would save me a long drive to buy a heavy duty one.

not sure about PA but in Mass I believe any trialer over 1999.# needs to have electric brakes. Just in case you only have a 4pin plug.

I hope your wrong (i am praying lol), I thought it was any trailer rated 10000#s or more....
And I wanna say it was unclear if it was gvwr meaning if your tow vehicle counted towards it?
I have been going through the dmv stuff as I got lucky and scored a tandem but it has mobile home axles on it and it seems to be a lot of talk about those on other sites

Agreed, the info for Mass is sketchy at best but on the 3 sites that I looked at it states what you say, 10,000#. Can't imagine why it would be so high. Most of the other New England states are 3000# and up. I also can't imagine towing my 24 ft boat on a dual axle trailer without the surge brakes that are on it. :bug:

iceman said:
JohnnyHaulin said:
dw06 said:
Glad to see this topic, as I was going to ask about what trailers some are using to haul a ton at a time. I use my old 97 s-10 and haul 30-35 bags in it. Getting ready to retire it and was looking at trailers, either a 5x8 or a 5x10 with a 3500lb axle and 14 inch tires. I want to be able to haul a ton of pellets or gravel. I've looked at the one that richkorn has at TSC, and if it would do what I want would save me a long drive to buy a heavy duty one.[/quote

not sure about PA but in Mass I believe any trialer over 1999.# needs to have electric brakes. Just in case you only have a 4pin plug.

I hope your wrong (i am praying lol), I thought it was any trailer rated 10000#s or more....
And I wanna say it was unclear if it was gvwr meaning if your tow vehicle counted towards it?
I have been going through the dmv stuff as I got lucky and scored a tandem but it has mobile home axles on it and it seems to be a lot of talk about those on other sites

Looking at the following trailer on TSC:
http://www.tractorsupply.com/traile...g-wood-floor-trailer-2340-lb-capacity-0191160

I don't see any mention of electric brakes, only a statement saying •Fully lighted to D.O.T. requirements.
I would think that if electric brakes were needed for trailers over 2000# then this would have them. It would seem like a lot of work to add electric brakes to a trailer like this one.

My F350 gets it done!

Attachments

• retaining wall_1.jpg
    retaining wall_1.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 552
2010 Honda Ridgeline 1/2 ton at a time

2007 Ford F-250. I can handle 2 tons at a time.

Attachments

• 000_0722.jpg
    000_0722.jpg
    18.2 KB · Views: 610
AW1223 said:
Love it! I think I'm gonna upgrade this year to a 3/4 or 1 ton. Prob a Ford, but I could live with a Dodge or a Chevy. Those Cummin's Diesels are hard to beat. But the Powerstroke is still 1st choice. By the way, nice pic.

I haul gravel a ton at a time from my local quarry with a 2WD '90 F150, regular suspension. She runs fairly low (lower with 2800#!), and I wouldn't go more than 20 miles that way. If I had it all the way back like in the picture far above, I think the body would bottom out on the suspension.

DexterDay said:
AW1223 said:
Love it! I think I'm gonna upgrade this year to a 3/4 or 1 ton. Prob a Ford, but I could live with a Dodge or a Chevy. Those Cummin's Diesels are hard to beat. But the Powerstroke is still 1st choice. By the way, nice pic.

If you have a factory tow package which usually is bigger brakes radiator, you cam simply add springs for around 500 bucks.. and carry more weight, some people do it (brakes/radiator) themselves so dont and add springs...
Be careful though as if something ever happened that raised an eye brow your car/truck will always fall under what that sticker says on the door... thats why I recommend bigger brakes , carrying it is easy .. stopping is the hard part...

Ps I am gonna add some springs cause when I got a ton put in the back of my Titan it squatted way to much for my liking. Don't wanna damage the over a little more gas and time.
I am hoping to pull 2 ton with my new to me trailer

briansol said:
I do half ton loads. I pay in full to get the best price and take half and go back for the rest with my 2000 dakota. I'm looking into a trailer, but i'm not sure how the fork lift would work on trailers with those gates, as posted above
http://www.tractorsupply.com/traile...g-wood-floor-trailer-2340-lb-capacity-0191160

A bit steep for me, as I have basically no other use for a trailer right now, + dmv /plates / etc.
Plus, i don't even have a hitch, lights/etc, so thats a couple hundred more to get installed.

You can remove the folding ramp and then the forklift can get right up to the trailer from the backside. Then just strap the load down.
Flynfrfun

flynfrfun said:
briansol said:
I do half ton loads. I pay in full to get the best price and take half and go back for the rest with my 2000 dakota. I'm looking into a trailer, but i'm not sure how the fork lift would work on trailers with those gates, as posted above

A bit steep for me, as I have basically no other use for a trailer right now, + dmv /plates / etc.
Plus, i don't even have a hitch, lights/etc, so thats a couple hundred more to get installed.

You can remove the folding ramp and then the forklift can get right up to the trailer from the backside. Then just strap the load down.
Flynfrfun

I have a 6x12 landscape trailer and I removed the ramp so they could fork the pallet on but because they can only get the pallet on so far, all the weight was behind the wheels causing the trailer to jack-knife. It put a real strain on the hitch which scared me a bit. Then they were able to push the pallet to the center of the trailer with the ends on the forks.

But rather than risk a broken trailer, I now load them by hand. That gives me complete control over weight distribution and I can get the tounge weight just right.

Dougsey said:
flynfrfun said:
briansol said:

Flynfrfun

I have a 6x12 landscape trailer and I removed the ramp so they could fork the pallet on but because they can only get the pallet on so far, all the weight was behind the wheels causing the trailer to jack-knife. It put a real strain on the hitch which scared me a bit. Then they were able to push the pallet to the center of the trailer with the ends on the forks.

But rather than risk a broken trailer, I now load them by hand. That gives me complete control over weight distribution and I can get the tounge weight just right.
Had that happen to me too. 14 ft Trailer, unloaded 10 bags of the top of the skid, to the front of the trailer. Negative Tongue wieght is a big No No. Keep throwing them to the front, till you get some Positive wieght. A little easier than loading all by hand. IMO. But do whatever works best for you.

I used my F-150 FX4 to haul my first ton had to load it in by hand because I have a cap on it that is cab high.
It hauled it fine but I haul them 40 miles on curvy hilly roads, took my time and give myself room to stop.

My 2nd load I used my 16ft enclosed all aluminium 2 axle snowmobile trailer trailer, It handled much better in that and having brakes on 2 axels much safer.

It was much easier to unload buy just putting the ramp door down and using a 2 wheel cart to put them in the basement 5 bags at a time.
For the little bit of extra gas I will do that again next year.

DexterDay said:
Had that happen to me too. 14 ft Trailer, unloaded 10 bags of the top of the skid, to the front of the trailer. Negative Tongue wieght is a big No No. Keep throwing them to the front, till you get some Positive wieght. A little easier than loading all by hand. IMO. But do whatever works best for you.
That's what I was thinking as I read the bags were loaded manually. I would put several up front, as you said you do, and then have them place the remainder of the pallet on in one piece. The less manual labor, the better.

Alternative Guy said:
DexterDay said:
That's what I was thinking as I read the bags were loaded manually. I would put several up front, as you said you do, and then have them place the remainder of the pallet on in one piece. The less manual labor, the better.
Misread your post. Much easier than doing them all by hand. Took about 10 bags the couple times I used the trailer.

Dougsey said:

I have a 6.5 x 10 ft trailer that I use with my wife's Highlander (Rated @3500lbs towing. I have them put the pallet on the back and then they use another full pallet of pellets to push it forward. Works out great and I'm able to have them slide it exactly where I want it. I use jack stands to keep the weight off of the car until it is situated.

When we get it home, we wrap a chain around the pallet and pull it back to the back edge of the trailer and use our tractor with forks to move it where we want. Very nice and low labor setup.

I'm thinking of getting a Volkeswagon Jetta to haul pellets. Rumor has it that they can haul up to 3000 pounds of building supplies, no trailer needed.

Note the 10 - 80# bags on concrete in the back seat :eek:hh:

vw_idiot.jpg

Madhatter said:
I'm thinking of getting a Volkeswagon Jetta to haul pellets. Rumor has it that they can haul up to 3000 pounds of building supplies, no trailer needed.

Note the 10 - 80# bags on concrete in the back seat :eek:hh:

vw_idiot.jpg

I see this kind of crap every time I go to Home Depot!
Usually with Salsa or Meringue music blasting out of it.

Shown here laden with wood splits, I can easily haul 3 tons with this set up.

Attachments

• trailer.jpg
    trailer.jpg
    143.9 KB · Views: 435
Hello

Well, since I got 2.5 tons this time all at once, I had Lowe's do it. :)

He managed to push two pallets into the garage, but I had to carry and stack the 25 bags on the 3rd pallat in from outside before it rained!

Attachments

• LowesDelivery03082011-3sc.jpg
    LowesDelivery03082011-3sc.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 632
  • LowesDelivery03082011-1a.jpg
    LowesDelivery03082011-1a.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 636
  • LowesDelivery03082011-4sc.jpg
    LowesDelivery03082011-4sc.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 646
  • LowesDelivery03082011-6sc.jpg
    LowesDelivery03082011-6sc.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 612
  • LowesDelivery03082011-5sc.jpg
    LowesDelivery03082011-5sc.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 641
flynfrfun said:
Honda Civic towing a 4x6 Carry-On utility trailer. 1 ton at a time, but I only have to go 1.5mi @ 35mph and no hills. I worry more about the trailer than the car. Capacity of the trailer is 2000lbs, so I'm maxxed out. I make sure they load the pallet correctly so it has just the right amount of tongue weight. I'm going to get my 2nd ton later this week, I'll take pics when I do.
Flynfrfun

Updated to add a pic. I wouldn't want to have to go over 35mph with this setup though...
Flynfrfun

Attachments

• IMG_0211.jpg
    IMG_0211.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 587
flynfrfun said:
flynfrfun said:
Honda Civic towing a 4x6 Carry-On utility trailer. 1 ton at a time, but I only have to go 1.5mi @ 35mph and no hills. I worry more about the trailer than the car. Capacity of the trailer is 2000lbs, so I'm maxxed out. I make sure they load the pallet correctly so it has just the right amount of tongue weight. I'm going to get my 2nd ton later this week, I'll take pics when I do.
Flynfrfun

Updated to add a pic. I wouldn't want to have to go over 35mph with this setup though...
Flynfrfun

How do you get the pellets off the trailer when you get home??

I store my pellets in the garage. So, I back the trailer up to the spot where I want them, then unload and stack them a bag at a time. It doesn't take very long...maybe 15-20mins. Definitely not worth spending the money on a pallet jack compared to how easy & quick it is. Plus, I don't have to store a pallet jack either...they take up a lot of room.

BUT, I just found out that Home Depot lets you use their truck for free (75 minutes) if you spend $100+. Next time, I'll use their truck and save the wear and tear on my vehicles. Of course, the trailer is low, so it is easier to unload compared to how high the truck's bed is.
Flynfrfun

Status
Not open for further replies.