what do you use?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

iceman

Minister of Fire
Nov 18, 2006
Springfield Ma (western mass)
what do you use on your splitter? do you use a wedge? was it worth it.. would you reccomend it?

I use a gas wood splitter in the summer with just a conventional wedge breaking the wood.

When I cut in the winter when trees are dormant or frozen I use a hand wedge I got at the 'tractor supply store'. It's wider than my favorite splitting wedge but the poly handle is great. Poly wedge is about 35*...it's indestructible, favorite wedge is about 28* but no matter the skill level of the splitter,handles here don't last a season.

I split mostly ash, maple and some elm...I'll never attempt to split elm with a hand wedge anymore. I can do it... but just can't make any production....that's what a gas splitter is for.

If you're talking about a star wedge on a gas splitter I wouldn't recommend it...the guys I've know that have used them end up with problems with their splitters. I've have the same splitter since 1980 take care of it and it still is reliable.

I agree. The splitter you see in my avatar was purchased sometime in the 1980's and it's been trouble free. It is a 20 ton and so far in over 20 years I have found only one block that it couldn't get through. Also, we split a lot of elm which is probably the hardest splitting wood there is. The splitter has never been modified so has the same wedge that came with it.

I have used the same old splitting maul for 30 years. Still works great with one new handle replacement for a woops...
I used to cut and split the neighbors 6 cord load for a 100 bucks for several years till I got too busy.

Tuesday I went to Lowe's and purchased their 27 ton Troy Built gas splitter. I tried it out on some elm butts I couldn't split even with a wedge and
they are now in the woodshed waiting to burn. Should have gotten one of these years ago but as long as I could split what I needed
without too much trouble I kept putting off. Macho thingy I believe. GRIN... Will turn 62 next month so the Macho thingy is almost gone.

I read the posts here about this splitter and almost didn't get it till I looked around and could see this was the best for me for the money.
It does retract automatically as long as you start the retraction by pushing the control into the retract position but then you can let of go
it and it will automatically stop when fully retracted. I didn't use this feature other than to try it since my wood is 16-18 inches so didn't need
to retract the full amount to do the next one.

Did I say.....I again wish I had one of these years ago for the amount of wood we burned and processed by hand. It wouldn't pay for itself unless
you get your wood unsplit or in bulk for several years. Then it is a good investment and I am sure I could sell it for little loss if I had to.

How ya doing Carl?

I was looking at the Troy builts up at Lowes last week...then again it could have been HD. Just wondering do you operate yours in the perpendicular or horizontal mode? I've been operating in the horizontal mode for years and could see no advantage to the other way...but I know some might prefer it...just wondering. thanks.

And I'm happy to hear from your report that they do have a detent valve in them (auto return)...it didn't say that on the tag but I'm used to one and couldn't get by without one.

savageactor7 said:
I'll never attempt to split elm with a hand wedge anymore. I can do it... but just can't make any production....that's what a gas splitter is for.

While working and living in Massachusetts, thousands of Elms were cut and dumped. Most of our firewood was Elm dropped off by tree crews, highway departments, power companies just to get rid of it. We fought it for a year until an Arborist friend finally told me the secret after enjoying himself watching me break mauls and splitters.
Elm is a heliotrope, grain runs following the sun in spirals. So you split it ALONG or tangential to the rings---a.k.a. slabing the wood. It works some of the time; forget crotches, burls, knots; throw it away or give it to your fireplace friends. Henry Moore loved Elm for his large carvings.
If I had access to Semtex or C-4 then, it would have been used.

I'm doing very well Savageactor7. Thanks for the comments. Just cut up a smaller elm 8 inch base which was solid
all the way to the ground. Now enjoying the heat from it. Put one log in at 6PM and just added a second one which
should keep us above 70 degrees tonight. Outside it is about 15 degrees now.

I use it horzontally most. I do have some large 2-3 foot stumps of white pine that I want to split so will try
using the vertical mode for them. For the really big stuff I think vertical will work best. I did notice while splitting
horizontally you have to be carefull not to let the split logs hit the motor when pushing them of. May cover it with
something in the future.

I talked to several people about these splitters and 80-90 percent of them are made by one company with a name change.
I know they made the Troy built one for them. I have a Kubota tractor so I stopped at the dealer to get a price and
they are very dear to them. For one comparable to the one I paid $1300 for they wanted $3300. I replied without any
hesitation that I would get the Troy built one from Lowes.

Home Depot does carry simililar ones made by the same company. Big difference in the cheaper ones is they
have a briggs engine instead of a Honda and are 22 ton instead of 27. For my money I am very happy with the one
I got so far. Maybe in another 5 years or so I will know more about them. Grin.

Thanks for the report Carl...

...I wasn't in the market for a splitter but since it was out front I checked it out and was mostly stunned that it was about the same price as what I paid for my current splitter in the 80's.

Status
Not open for further replies.