What else do I need in order to install this 30?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mrs. Krabappel

Minister of Fire
Jan 31, 2010
Blue Ridge Mountains NC
I'm having a wood stove installation party next weekend.

I have a new ss stove pipe to attach between the stove and the liner.
I am working on a hearth extension, but I don't need that for the install.
I need to replace the silicon on the block off plate. Something that can withstand higher temps, yes? Where to look for that?

I'm going to try and pull the stove out and burn it a couple of times before it comes inside.

Anything else?

Refreshments for the working party members.

Beer and an impertinent little Napa Chardonnay? (Edit: fossil beat me to it while I was typing.)

The only thing I can think of is that I run a bead of furnace cement inside the elbow where the liner meets it before inserting the liner and tightening the band.

Dunno what kind of silicone was used previously, but a block off plate shouldn't be an ultra high temp application. I'd think that any of the silicone sealants advertised as "High Temp" available from any auto parts store would do it. Rick

This furnace cement is an item I can pick up at the local hardware store?

Chardonnay would not be my choice, but there are wine drinkers in the group, so probably. I am also planning to brew my first batch of beer that day, so it should be a productive day.

~*~Kathleen~*~ said:
I'm having a wood stove installation party next weekend.

I have a new ss stove pipe to attach between the stove and the liner.
I am working on a hearth extension, but I don't need that for the install.
I need to replace the silicon on the block off plate. Something that can withstand higher temps, yes? Where to look for that?

I'm going to try and pull the stove out and burn it a couple of times before it comes inside.

Anything else?

I wouldn't bother. Yes, It might stink a bit, but it's not a big deal. If the stove was already outside? Sure, light it up. Already inside? Let it stay in place.

BrowningBAR said:
I wouldn't bother. Yes, It might stink a bit, but it's not a big deal. If the stove was already outside? Sure, light it up. Already inside? Let it stay in place.

It's in the shed. Part of the party is the stove lifting and lugging contest.

You might need some firewood..... ;)

I'm hoping to have my 30 installed in a few weeks. I'll be reading your experience with great interest over the upcoming burning season.

Good luck,
Bill

BrotherBart said:
BrowningBAR said:

It's in the shed. Part of the party is the stove lifting and lugging contest.

Oh. Well then. Burn away.

~*~Kathleen~*~ said:
I am also planning to brew my first batch of beer that day, so it should be a productive day.
Marry me! Ill fetch our beer till death do us part.

plus I have parrots and don't want to risk the fumes.

:lol: contest. I'm going to move that big beast out of the shed myself. Well, with the boy, but that's kind of the same thing except I have somebody to swear at. The contest will be getting it in the door.

Loco Gringo said:

Well the marriage proposal interests me not at all, but the beer fetching is an interesting offer.

Well I guess then... Oh never mind.

You know the rules. Lots of pics. From outdoor burn-in to "We have ignition. We have lift-off."

What are you using for the pipe to the liner kiddo?

Yeah the furnace cement at the hardware or box store. Get the stuff in a tube and use that caulk gun ya have. High temp silicone is considered the Holy Grail here. But the regular 100% silicone caulk is the same stuff without a red dye in it. Both get gummy around five hundred and go poof at 800 degrees. Neither of which the edges of that block off plate will ever approach. Even in a house fire.

The block-off plate over my 30 is held in place by a quarter tube of on sale $1.99 regular stuff and hasn't burned up or fallen down with the stove heading for the stratosphere in six seasons. Used it for the top plates too. Just don't put it in contact with the liner.

~*~Kathleen~*~ said:
Loco Gringo said:

Well the marriage proposal interests me not at all, but the beer fetching is an interesting offer.
Ehh fair enuff, Ill come clean, Im only in it for the brew myself.

BrotherBart said:

You know the rules. Lots of pics. From outdoor burn-in to "We have ignition. We have lift-off."

And can I add that we want better pics than the last time! Back up a bit so we can see the entire fireplace this time.

BrowningBAR said:
BrotherBart said:

And can I add that we want better pics than the last time! Back up a bit so we can see the entire fireplace this time.

+ 1. That is a sweet, sweet, FP, K !!! Puts mine to shame ;-)

What are ya feeding & watering them with?

BrotherBart said:

There are a couple of pieces of pipe attached that I left from the 13. I'm a teeny bit worried because the pipe I pulled out is much more flexible than the one that arrived yesterday. I think it will be fine though, as the liner is flexible. One friend that is helping is *very* adept at about everything. The rest are invited for muscle power and/or entertainment value.

I haven't decided on food yet. I think I can make curry with this crowd, so stir fry shrimp and veggies over a grain. Big salad.

I can't remember the limitations of a previous pic, but I can only move so far back with that big stove in this living room. Will do my best. Thanks it is a lovely hearth and I can't take a bit of credit for it. Though I did gussy it up a bit.

~*~Kathleen~*~ said:
BrotherBart said:

There are a couple of pieces of pipe attached that I left from the 13. I'm a teeny bit worried because the pipe I pulled out is much more flexible than the one that arrived yesterday. I think it will be fine though, as the liner is flexible. One friend that is helping is *very* adept at about everything. The rest are invited for muscle power and/or entertainment value.

I haven't decided on food yet. I think I can make curry with this crowd, so stir fry shrimp and veggies over a grain. Big salad.

I can't remember the limitations of a previous pic, but I can only move so far back with that big stove in this living room. Will do my best. Thanks it is a lovely hearth and I can't take a bit of credit for it. Though I did gussy it up a bit.

Go Mexican!

And post no less than a dozen pics.

~*~Kathleen~*~ said:
BrotherBart said:

Gussy away, pal, gussy away.

Status
Not open for further replies.